Forgotten War Mustang - F-51D in Korea

John1

Looking for something a bit different than just another ETO P-51D, I opted to build a Korean War era F-51D.   Differences between a WW2 spec Mustang and a Korean War version varied from aircraft to aircraft but in general - "cuffless" Hamiliton Standard props, additional radio equipment aft of the pilot's seat, provisions for 6 5" HVAR rockets on underwing stub fittings and (in some but not all cases), a locked down tailwheel.    From a painting standpoint, I learned that many of these Mustangs were actually painted Matt Aluminum during refurbishment, instead of being left in natural metal.   At the same time, many had the cockpits painted black.   One thing that attracted me to the F-51D was that unlike in Europe where these aircraft were cutting edge thoroughbreds, in Korea, they were expendable "bomb-trucks" that often flew 4-5 times/day.  As such, most of these Mustangs were absolutely filthy.   Here are a couple of examples of the real thing, I used these as guides for my weathering:

136289006-02bg5aqm-adsc_7314x.jpg?w=950

Below, note the scratched "USAF" which was from foot traffic during the rushed re-arming process. 

8-O6-T93g-XL.jpg

th?id=OIP.6BeMrcOFTVj1VjinjLhY1QHaHa&pid

And one of the the cockpit.   This is an unrestored F-51D, note the heavy weathering and patchy black finish. 

150803-F-IO108-003.jpg

Here is the finished model.  It's the Tamiya P-51D/K version.  Aftermarket bits include Barracuda resin wheels and cockpit bits, Quickboost resin propeller blades, Brian Fawcett resin HVAR launchers, donated Tamiya HVAR's and for decals, Barracuda's awesome cockpit placard set, Print To Scale's F-51D set and Fundekals P-51D stencils.  All the radio gear in the back and many small odds and ends were scratchbuilt.  

48690960382_36980474ab_b.jpg

49185070653_5dcb85b4ca_b.jpgd

And the finished kit:

49632548707_c513c36dc3_b.jpg

49631761043_4636ef3d49_b.jpg

IMG_0819

49634553118_96e58a8fc2_b.jpg

49634552898_eb9925e4c9_b.jpg

49634553038_ae7b899c0e_b.jpg

And for those that are curious about my "colorful" napalm tanks, I got my inspiration from this:

Napalm_01.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by John1

WOW! That's awesome! Put her on a PSP base with some mud and a little ice and snow in the holes it would be in Korea!

Love the absolute beat up look but they had to keep them flying in those harsh conditions! I've been all over South Korea

and it definitely gets cold! What....hearing the MASH theme song now!

Cheers...Ron 

1 hour ago, chuck540z3 said:

Great job John!  You have captured the beat up look perfectly.  Congrat’s!

Cheers

Chuck 

Thank you sir!  A good number of the techniques I used on this project came from tips I learned from following all of your awesome builds.   

What a superb result for all your work and research. It was a pleasure following the build, and watching you ensure that you got all the details correct, from all the modifications made to late F-51Ds even down to the weathering and finish. It's not easy to recreate a convincing combat filthy aircraft, but you nailed it. Well done!

Richard

• 1 month later...