Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup

LSP_K2

1 hour ago, Astro32 said:

That's because the kit represents a magneto ignition, therefore no coil. However there's a company out there that makes an excellent billet aluminum distributor & plug wire assembly ( I forget the brand ) and an ignition coil would be easy to make.

This is a great old kit that will turn out nicely. It's in good hands.

That I did not know, so thanks for the info. Yes, there are many pre-wired distributors out there, but I'll just make a go of this one, best as I can.

15 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

You may have noticed that there's currently no cooling fan on the engine. That''s because the kit doesn't provide one! There's also no ignition coil, lower radiator hose, alternator bracket (not altogether uncommon), brake cylinder, steering shaft, or many other needed components. All of these items will need to be sourced elsewhere (just one of the many reasons I much prefer curbside).

These old Revell/ Monogram molds were not known for their attention to detail or accuracy. I've built up a few of such models and understand well in advance that I'm going to be spending a lot of time in correcting flaws, getting rid of huge amounts of flash and mold/ seam lines and adding detail as well as wheel/ tire swaps. I consider it a challenge to build one of these kinds of kits up but in the end......after a lot of work....they turn out pretty good. In contrast I've built up a couple of the newer offerings out there like the Revell Foose Ford F-100 pick up and the Revell 69 Charger and both of those went together almost flawlessly. Both of those kits spoiled me somewhat and make me a little apprehensive in regards to building older molds but I have done it once again with the Jo-Han Maverick that I'm building up now. Sometimes it's about the cool subject matter that was covered back then I guess. sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw.gif

1 minute ago, LSP_Ron said:

I'll send you theTamiya number I used for the Jag in a bit.   

Yes, please do. I used a Tamiya brown on the interior of my '68 Charger, and intend to use it again, I think, though perhaps darkened a bit.

FAg0Gc.jpg

13 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I received the paint for this project today (the green and clear). The others are for an experiment to find just the right blues for a '32 Ford Phaeton and 2003 Ferrari Enzo.

EAkuEd.jpg

Looks like some good color choices there Kevin. Remember......it's ok to use enamel over lacquer but NOT the other way around. 

Edited by mustang1989

While I too have heard that, Joe, the Testors clear lacquer is actually very mild, so shouldn't really be an issue. I'll conduct some spoon tests though, just to be absolutely sure.

Doing some spoon tests here, trying to determine what blue I want to use for my Phaeton, as well as a Ferrari Enzo. Spoon on the left is Tamiya clear blue over Testors diamond dust. Spoon on the right is Tamiya clear orange over the same Testors diamond dust, for a '40 Willys that I'm also currently working on. Neither has been clear coated nor polished, as these are just for color selection. The orange is not going to make it for the Willys (I don't think), but may come in useful on some future car model project.

uLQ3lj.jpg

When I received the kit (got it in a trade), all of the chrome looked like these examples. I don't know if it left the factory that way, someone sprayed something on it, or what. From some angles it can't really be seen, like the valve covers above, but almost every piece looks like this, just horrible, so all will need to be stripped bare.

SUYJIU.jpg

iLfGBd.jpg

hJIPo9.jpg

Curiosity and impatience won out, so I went ahead and clear coated and polished all of my current samples, just to get a better understanding of their final appearance (or at least that’s what I told myself). The third spoon (on the far right), is Testors metalflake blue enamel over Tamiya white lacquer primer, with Testors clear lacquer on top. Right now I’m leaning heavily toward the clear blue over diamond dust for the Phaeton, but still have plenty more experimentation to do, and plenty of time to do it.

S6fdZR.jpg