Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup

LSP_K2

i love the color

but i think it will be the problem with the metalic paint for that scale

like u said it will be better 1/12 but i dondt know any other brand that will look better

Mark

23 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

A whole lot of folks here aren't into cars, but there are at least a few. Thanks for looking in.

Agreed...I may be one, 38 years as an auto mechanic kind of takes the shine off the enthusiasm to build models of cars but, it’s really inspiring to see the folks that do build them do such amazing work as they build!

and this is a good example of that work!

carry on, I’ll be in my seat watching and enjoying the work

4 hours ago, mark31 said:

i love the color

but i think it will be the problem with the metalic paint for that scale

like u said it will be better 1/12 but i dondt know any other brand that will look better

Mark

Yea, this will be best off on 1:12 and 1:16 kits, maybe even the oddball 1:8 scale kit, but seems way too flaky for the smaller scales.

1 hour ago, andromeda673 said:

go big with the flakes! 

I would if I were building a dune buggy or bass boat.

19 minutes ago, chrish said:

Agreed...I may be one, 38 years as an auto mechanic kind of takes the shine off the enthusiasm to build models of cars but, it’s really inspiring to see the folks that do build them do such amazing work as they build!

and this is a good example of that work!

carry on, I’ll be in my seat watching and enjoying the work

Thanks, Chrish. I'm amazed at just what a challenge these old car models can really be.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yea, this will be best off on 1:12 and 1:16 kits, maybe even the oddball 1:8 scale kit, but seems way too flaky for the smaller scales.

I would if I were building a dune buggy or bass boat.

Thanks, Chrish. I'm amazed at just what a challenge these old car models can really be.

It takes a really patient individual to make some of these older kits "shine" when they are done. Keep hanging in there with it Kevin. She'll turn out a winner bro.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, LSP_K2 said:

A whole lot of folks here aren't into cars, but there are at least a few. Thanks for looking in.

I'm not particularly in to cars, however there is a lot to be learned from threads like this

Richard 

As with most older kits, pock marks and tooling boo-boos have taken their toll on this old kit, but need to be addressed, regardless.

tYJ5IH.jpg

The canvas top is actually the worst of the lot, requiring lots in the way of clean-up.

3vu9a0.jpg

Chassis, such as it is, is now as far along as I intend to take it, aside from scraping a few more relatively minor (and visible) seams. If the lack of total clean-up hurts me in competition, so be it. Exhaust pipes will be added later, as I intend to paint them an aluminum color, or just use tubing, not real sure yet. Thoughts?

pWfT71.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And yet more spoon tests, this time Tamiya clear red over Testors diamond dust (on the left), and Tamiya clear red over Testors icy blue, on the right (almost a cranberry color now), both clear coated and polished. To be quite honest, I really like both very much and have now recorded them in my spreadsheet for future projects that are sure to come up. Thoughts?

SJdnWq.jpg

1 hour ago, Astro32 said:

Consider using nail polish. There's a billion shades out there and most brands airbrush beautifully. 

I have a few bottles here, but as a general rule they're way too flaky and sparkly. Some of the solid shades are OK though. Also, fingernail polish is crazy expensive for what you get quantity wise.