Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup

LSP_K2

12 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Have you tried testors metalicflake blue with clear blue over top? It makes a really really nice deep candy blue. I did a 67' Vette that way years ago and really looked nice.

No, but it certainly sounds worth trying.

59 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Have you tried testors metalicflake blue with clear blue over top? It makes a really really nice deep candy blue. I did a 67' Vette that way years ago and really looked nice.

That DOES sound worth trying.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Curiosity and impatience won out, so I went ahead and clear coated and polished all of my current samples, just to get a better understanding of their final appearance (or at least that’s what I told myself). The third spoon (on the far right), is Testors metalflake blue enamel over Tamiya white lacquer primer, with Testors clear lacquer on top. Right now I’m leaning heavily toward the clear blue over diamond dust for the Phaeton, but still have plenty more experimentation to do, and plenty of time to do it.

S6fdZR.jpg

There seems to be a lot of difference between the shades of blue between spoon A and the spoon on the right. I'm really liking what I see on spoon A.

It's been so long since I built a car model engine, that I completely forgot certain basics, one of which is to make sure that things are square. Given the sometimes extreme draft angles of the injection parts provided in a lot of car models, certain items frequently need to be squared off before assembly. In this case, I did remember to square up the tunnel ram, but not the top of the block itself. As a consequence, the tunnel ram perches on a pitched block top that will now require some filler to make look right, or at least OK, and could have been easily resolved beforehand, but was not. Live and learn, I guess.

EK1r9l.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 7:06 PM, mustang1989 said:

There seems to be a lot of difference between the shades of blue between spoon A and the spoon on the right. I'm really liking what I see on spoon A.

A is indeed gorgeous, and may well be what I'll eventually use on my Ferrari Enzo. I've already started an Excel spreadsheet for the various tests to come, just to keep track of what's what.

Digging through my AMT '65 Grand Prix, looking for tires that might work for the wheels that came with the '29, I picked some that at least initially looked great and fit like a glove.

A28RQn.jpg

Two problems though, the whitewall side that I think I'd have preferred, has the whitewalls printed asymmetrically, making this side utterly worthless. (This is common with every single tire in this kit, though some are somewhat slightly better than others, but still all very Three Stooges like.)

6sB1TO.jpg

The second problem, and perhaps the worst of the two, is that the blackwall side, is larger in diameter than the whitewall side, making all of the tires that came with the GP, completely useless for any model car project that I have planned. Looks like I'll keep digging for more tires.

kQ5yce.jpg

4 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Definitely do a test with the testor metal flake blue topped with clear. I think you'll like it a lot.

I already have the test underway. Should be ready by Sunday, I'd imagine.

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

A is indeed gorgeous, and may well be what I'll eventually use on my Ferrari Enzo. I've already started an Excel spreadsheet for the various tests to come, just to keep track of what's what.

The ferrari enzo

are you going to build the 1/12?

About the colors i like a very much

nice work keep on building

Mark

11 hours ago, mark31 said:

The ferrari enzo

are you going to build the 1/12?

About the colors i like a very much

nice work keep on building

Mark

I wish! No, it'll be the 1:24 Tamiya kit, which in itself is a great model; far better than most of the 60 year old car kits that I have to choose from otherwise. I looked at the 1:12 scale Tamiya kit, and despite being only twice the size, is 10 times the cost, so that's a definite no-go for me. 

9X9KeR.jpg

33 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Thats a nice kit, I built it last year

Any photos?

The consensus on the car modeling forum was that between the Revell Enzo and this kit, to just go for the Tamiya kit, though the Revell kit seems to build well too.

I'll look forward to seeing them, Ron. I'll also be doing the clear blue over the blue matalflake today (I resprayed the spoon for better coverage), and will then clear coat as well. Perhaps tomorrow sometime I'll have finished photos of that. For whatever it's worth, Testors has re-released the entire original line of metalflakes, both in spray bombs and the small bottles.

Yet another painting experiment, this time Tamiya clear blue over Testors icy blue. There was rather surprisingly almost no shift at all, but I still think it looks nice, though I think it’s a bit too flaky for 1:24/1:25 scale, but will probably work out great on a big ol’ 1:16 scale kit, Speaking of which, Round 2 has re-released the AMT ’55 Chevy Bel Air convertible and Nomad kits, both in 1:16 scale and both at a very reasonable price. I’ll be snatching the Bel Air kit very soon.

f45XDm.jpg