Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup

LSP_K2

After working for a time on an AMT '69 Chevelle SS 396 (and getting totally disgusted with it), I threw it back in the box and selected another favorite, the Monogram '29 Ford roadster pickup. This old Monogram kit has been a favorite of mine for many years. Box is a bit tattered, but kit itself is in more or less (more on that later) great shape. I'll most certainly be losing those funky farm tractor tires though, and replacing with some nice AMT versions, or similar, but keeping the wheels, as they're actually pretty neat.  Naturally, my intent is to have this done for two shows here in September and October, assuming those events aren't cancelled.

Aw6dhV.jpg

I think the kit, while very basic in certain aspects, has marvelous potential. I hope to make mine look the way I'd want a real one to look, were I to ever be fortunate enough to own a real one. Overall color will be Tamiya Racing Green, with a brown interior and beige convertible top. Should look real snazzy, assuming I don't muck it up.

What annoys me the most about this model (one of the things, anyway), is there's no option at all for a top down configuration, and absolutely no framework for the top when it's up.

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

I've got this same kit in Street Demons form. Looking forward to this one Kevin!

Me too, Joe, very much. This and the '32 Ford Phaeton are two of my all-time favorites. In fact, I discovered that the Testors metalflake blue that I used on my beloved Phaeton all those many, many years ago, is still being produced, so I ordered a can yesterday, (before a disaster at a local ATM, thank goodness).

I also had the original Blue Beetle kit many moons ago, and would eventually like to snatch another one of those, as it had some pretty cool parts in it.

Interior is molded in a color that I highly approve of, and I'll try to match that color as close as I can when I paint it. No door knobs or restraining straps, which is odd, but I may just proceed without those, I'm not sure yet.

z6t8PA.jpg

10 hours ago, mark31 said:

nice looking forward to see this

are you going for oob?

Mark

Sort of. The only real additional details will be all the wiring and plumbing that the engine requires, which I normally don't ever do, as I generally prefer to build curbside. That and replacing those god awful kit tires. Otherwise, just a good clean paint job, and (hopefully) a classic street roadster "look".

Engine is assembled as far as I want to take it right now, while I consider an intake setup and new alternator from somewhere. I may order one of the beautiful Fireball Models carburetor and intake setups, not real sure yet. All ready to strip the lame chrome with some oven cleaner now.

7dkvIB.jpg

You may have noticed that there's currently no cooling fan on the engine. That''s because the kit doesn't provide one! There's also no ignition coil, lower radiator hose, alternator bracket (not altogether uncommon), brake cylinder, steering shaft, or many other needed components. All of these items will need to be sourced elsewhere (just one of the many reasons I much prefer curbside).

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

There's also no ignition coil...

That's because the kit represents a magneto ignition, therefore no coil. However there's a company out there that makes an excellent billet aluminum distributor & plug wire assembly ( I forget the brand ) and an ignition coil would be easy to make.

This is a great old kit that will turn out nicely. It's in good hands.