Trumpeter MiG-29A.

ade rowlands

On 3/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, Dave Williams said:

There are a few notable differences in the early 9-12s.  There were no flare/chaff dispensers in front of the tails, there were vertical ventral fins hanging down from the rear fuselage chimes that the tails sat on, and on very early aircraft, the rear of the rudders didn’t extend past the rear of the vertical tail.  The rudder extension seems to be a very early change (and was apparently retrofitted) so it wasn’t uncommon to see aircraft with the extended rudder, but still having the other early features.  From what I can find, Red 01 was a an early 9-12 with the ventral fins and no dispensers, but with the extended rudders.

Here’s an article with some early 9-12 info and pictures.

https://sirviper.com/index.php?page=fighters/mig-29/mig-29a

Thanks for that link! This is what I was mentioning above. The gun vents were also different as well as the nose panels shapes and locations. To me these are the annoying differences as the others are quite trivial to recreate. 

51 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks for that link! This is what I was mentioning above. The gun vents were also different as well as the nose panels shapes and locations. To me these are the annoying differences as the others are quite trivial to recreate. 

There is another gun gas vent in the kit. Leaving off the strakes and chaff dispenser is a simple enough task with some holes to fill. I think its going to be one of those cases of find a photo of the MiG you want to model and go from that. I'm not finding many of the Aggressor birds, at least full profile shots to show me what was what. My planned MiG was a quite early serial so had the strakes and likely no chaff dispenser, but could that be retrofitted and was it likely done? I'm swinging more to my alternate scheme, a Soviet MiG based in the GDR. I'm not aiming for total authentic replication. I'm not that anal. But I would like to get it as close as I reasonably can. And just to contradict be saying I'm not that anal about details I've begun reworking the Instrument panel.....

The 2 gun vents. Naturally having glued the one in place called for in the instructions it will turn out to be the wrong type needed for my planned scheme. Should be able to remove it with a fine saw though as the panel lines are nice straight jobs. 

49703551451_d6bfdeb343_b.jpg

However it looks like leaving the Chaff dispensers off wasn’t as simple as I thought. It looks like some plasticard and filler would need to be added to the leading edge bottom corner of one of the halves on each very stabilizer and profiled. Then as you can see the very tips come to a blunt end where they would meet the dispensers rather than taper down to the fuselage top. 

49703871007_0486ddc09b_b.jpg

Looks like I’ve hit a problem with these tails and the way Trumpeter have made them. I can’t find any photo evidence for either of my planned schemes having the flare dispensers. And it’s not simply a case of leaving them off as I thought as you can see from the way the rails are moulded they would need an extension to blend in to the fuselage. I’m currently looking for a solution to this little bump in the road. 

Nevermind. It looks like the MiG-29UB has the parts I need to extend the vert tail down to the fuselage body. The vert tail parts from what I can tell from the pics on JP.1999 look the same in all kits. So I’m going to fire off an email to Trumpeter and see if I can get the R parts for the vert tail extensions. Problem could be solved. 

Edited by ade rowlands

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great progress, and I am impressed with the kit cockpit detail. I’m glad you identified a workaround for your version.

Cheers,  Tom

Well I’ve emailed Trumpeter asking for the part so we shall wait and see. There’s plenty to be getting on with on other parts of the kit in the meantime. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so my F-8 which was a replacement for this stalled MiG has stalled itself I’m not happy with the work I’ve done on the wings so I’ve ordered some replacement parts from eBay. Cue me feeling like an abject failure. I stalled on this MiG originally due to it not having parts to make the early 29A without the flare launchers at the bottom of the vert stabilisers. I’ve gone back over the decal sheet and it’s 647473774774 options and there’s one that fits the group build Cold War (delivered in 1987 to its owners) time frame, has the flare launchers and more importantly has the same camouflage scheme as my original 2 choices meaning I don’t need to buy new paints! It’s a Yugoslavian Air Force bird. No not being an aggressor but an active alert fighter I can load it up with the missiles that came with my Zactomodels update set. Probably the drop tank too. So the MiG was pulled from the cupboard earlier today in preparation for some work when I have my next few days off. 

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I truly hope it has the same gun vent you now have in situ, please don't shoot the messenger if not! 

The kit has both vents. Instructions only call for one to be used though. Found the other one whilst looking to make sure the vert stabilisers caps weren’t hiding somewhere on the sprues but not mentioned in the instructions. Easy fix with a razor saw whilst the fuselage top and bottom halves are still separate (why they couldn’t include the vertical stabiliser end caps that the UB kit has when they supply both gun gas vents and the 2 little stabilisers that live under the fuselage below the vert stabilisers which is a feature of the early A series is a mystery but this is Trumpeter). ‘Let’s give them 2 out of the 3 things to make an early A series just to taunt them’.

I haven’t found a photo of my particular fuselage code number but I have found 2 others (both numbers either side of the decal scheme provided number of 102) and they were all delivered from the same batch so it’s fair to conclude that they all had the same gun gas vent, which luckily is the style I’ve already fitted for the earlier planned schemes. 

Edited by ade rowlands