Painting WW2 RAF Roundels

Thunderbolt

Hi all, 

I am asking your assistance - I am building a spitfire IXc for a friend and want to paint the roundels myself. 
does AK real colors offer accurate renditions of these (yellow, blue, red) out of the bottle? If not them, then who? thanks in advance. 

Edited by thunderbolt1988

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

For my builds I use Sovereign Colourcoats, ACRN21 yellow, ACRN22 for the dull red, and ACRN31 for the blue.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-sea-british?page=1

Cheers

Dennis

thank you. how do they airbrush compared to, say, Tamiya or Gunze? thanks 

I've used Gunze,  AK, Tamiya for  roundels...I don't know if any is a perfect match. I like to mix paint by Mk I eyeball and dab a mix onto the decals while they are protected by the plastic bag they are sealed in. Adjust colour until it looks like...what you think it should like like, if that makes any sense. And assuming your decals are in proper colour register..And we can't get MRP in Canada for whatever reason, so no comment on that. 

7 minutes ago, Dainis said:

I've used Gunze,  AK, Tamiya for  roundels...I don't know if any is a perfect match. I like to mix paint by Mk I eyeball and dab a mix onto the decals while they are protected by the plastic bag they are sealed in. Adjust colour until it looks like...what you think it should like like, if that makes any sense. And assuming your decals are in proper colour register..And we can't get MRP in Canada for whatever reason, so no comment on that. 

MRP paints are 7 bucks a bottle. I'm going to mix the colors myself with the Tamiya paints I already have. 

Hi,

You can use Tamiya XF-7 for the red and if you want a tint with a brownish hue add one part of XF-9 to 10 parts of XF-7.

Another mix for Dull Roundel Red – 75% flat Red XF-7  with  25% NATO Brown XF-68

And for the Dull Roundel Blue,  mix  95% flat Blue XF-8 with 5% of flat Black XF-1

Hth

Thierry

13 hours ago, thunderbolt1988 said:

thank you. how do they airbrush compared to, say, Tamiya or Gunze? thanks 

Never tried either Tamiya or Gunze, but the Colourcoats airbrush great, stir very well, thin 50:50 with their own thinner, air at 20 psi and away you go. They dry with a satin finish.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Another mix for Dull Roundel Red – 75% flat Red XF-7  with  25% NATO Brown XF-68

That's what I used and was satisfied with the outcome.

For blue, I either used  H322 (blue angel blue) + a drop of black or straight H326, depending on scale

results:

Spit_mkIX_24_167_masks.png

The US Insignia red is a "proper" red colour, wheras the wartime RAF Dull Red is more of a brick red - red with a hint of brown.  The Sovereign Colourcoats spray beautifully thinned with MrColour Self-Levelling Thinner.

This worked for me:  MRP 122 RAF Yellow, MRP 183 Oxford Blue, MRP 123 RAF Red.  I read (i forget the source) the MRP 124 RAF Blue is early war.  Late war RAF blue is darker.  The RAF "Brick" Red is also an early war.  Not sure if my selection is accurate.  I'll be happy to be corrected by anyone smarter than me, flood gates now open.  :) 

I'm pleased with results. 

Model on...Rick

All national markings, ID bands will be painted.  Using Maketar masks the 4 color roundel application begin.

Roundel_Mask.01.jpg

A base of MRP135 Insignia White is applied for roundels, fin flash and ID bands.  I'm applying markings using this method as I want to keep paint build up to minimum.

Roundel_Mask.02.jpg

MRP122 RAF Marking Yellow is applied.  This late war aircraft, flown by New Zealand ace Evan Mackie, will have C1 roundels in all 6 positions. 

Roundel_Mask.03.jpg

After yellow cures masks are carefully positioned.

Roundel_Mask.04.jpg

MRP183 Oxford Blue is applied.  I spend much time deliberating on the correct "blue" for late war RAF a/c.  I took the FICE approach and I'm pleased with my decision.

Roundel_Mask.05.jpg

The blue has cured and more masks carefully placed.  I applied liquid mask on all tape seams to insure no bleeding.

Roundel_Mask.07.jpg

MRP123 RAF Marking Red completes the national insignias.  Masks removed.  No bleeds, no lifting.  Win, win.

Gloss.02.jpg

Gloss.01.jpg

Edited by Rick K