Boxart

LSP_Mike

9 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

Always a favorite, and a nostalgic one to boot! I remember falling in love with this kit as a kid, and the box art still grabs me every time I see it: Revell 1/32 P-51B, original boxing.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

LOve it!

This one is my fave:

207193-32432-18-720.png

And this one:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by BiggTim

Nice site here for the great old boxart:

https://boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/

And one that made me want to spend my "hard earned" allowance every time I went in the Ben Franklin store (yes youngsters, models used to be sold in every dime store, department store or toy store in existence):

Revell%20H278%20F4Uexva.JPG

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

Always a favorite, and a nostalgic one to boot! I remember falling in love with this kit as a kid, and the box art still grabs me every time I see it: Revell 1/32 P-51B, original boxing.

49673037693_fcc8061438.jpg4773bt by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I think the original was the Don Gentile version.

The Revell P-47 started it all for me. Fell in love with modeling and the Jug from that boxwood on. $2 at Grants department store in Florham Park, NJ. Building a Hasegawa 86th FG Jug at this very moment and after looking at evidence in Steve Luce‘s  great book and a color video on Critical Past, I’m convinced that Revell got the blue cowl flaps for the 527th FS correct, and it‘s that blue that sets the box art off!

I almost managed to get the whole old 32nd scale Revell kits together, but the favorite boxart is, like already mentioned by others, the P51B shangri-la boxtop.

But the actual boxart and kit that got me started modelling... in the past (and model built by my father with sticky shoe glue, go figure) was the "box-scale" Vought Crusader with the fin flash, IIRC.......great memories!!!!

Jack

I certainly remember building that Ju 87 from the box with that artwork, and it was the biggest model I'd ever built to date at the time.  I also did the Corsair, which wasn't that much smaller.  Nobody's mentioned Revell's Fw 190D yet - not packed with shoot-'em-up action, yet imo it really captures the speed and urgency of a scramble to meet yet more B-17s, B-24s and P-51s.  And yes, I've built this one too in my youth.

175029-11104-pristine.jpg