Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver update

Jan_G

Mine arrived today too, from Hannants.  I ordered it with a number of the add ons: weapons, wingfolds, bomb bay, exterior and flaps.  After a quick perusing of the parts I'm satisfied overall but noticed some areas of the instructions that leave a little to be desired like how certain detail sets will work with each other (wingfold, flaps and bomb bay) as well as clarity on the main gear attachment. 

Received mine yesterday, and I'll echo what others have said: It's not as impressive as first thought straight OOB, but the additional upgrade sets really kick it up a notch. I think the dive brakes are a must-have, but what I was really disappointed in was the lack of upgrades for the interior of the aircraft. The detail sets cover the wing folds, bomb bay (yes, sans bombs), exterior details, and dive brakes, but no provisions for detailing the very-visible interior aside from the opened gunner area. While I'm certainly no expert on "The Beast," I think I'm going to hold out for additional resin for the cockpit, gunner's area, and wheels. I think the kit itself is a great starting point for a real show-stopper, but you're really going to have to lean into this build to take it to the level of an OOB Tamiya kit. Bang for your buck? It sure has that, as you'll be spending more hours on this kit taking it to Tamiya-level than you would building a Tamiya kit OOB. If you're an assembler, this likely isn't the kit for you, but if you're a modeler this will present nice challenges to someone who really wants one on the shelf. That being said, I'll also hit on another point from others: the instructions are very, very vague in spots, and this includes the upgrade sets. Careful studying and planning, test fitting, sanding, etc before committing to glue will be a must. It's sure going to look imposing next to other 1/32 Navy aircraft, as it's NOT small (but not Avenger big. Think along the same size as a P-47). Now. . .to start on my conversion to the SB2C-5. . . ;)

I just received my kit, with all the upgrades. Came quickly from Hannant’s to me in the USA— at least I thought it was quick. 
As to all this talk of “disappointment” and “bang for the buck”, the kit is and was exactly what I expected and paid for. This is likely my only option for an SB2C in 1/32 scale. Yes, it is not Tamiya quality, but I seriously doubt that Tamiya, or any of the major manufacturers will be doing another SB2C. Still, you should be able to build a very nice and credible model of the Helldiver. For a first injection molded effort, I think that Infinity has done a fine job. I look forward to their kit of the Val too— for all the same reasons.

Bill M.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...