Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver update

Jan_G

On 5/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, phantom said:

Got my confirmation notice from Hannants. Waiting for it to ship. Got the plane and gunners upgrade set. Cost was around 102.00 euros with shipping.

Mike

I got my notice from Hannants yesterday - just waiting to ship out... I did not get any of the upgrade sets - but total cost with shipping to Central Florida was only around $93... I'm really looking forward to seeing this beast in person...

Mike

Received mine today and not bad at all, nice refrained surface detail and no ejector pin marks in sight where they shouldn't be. Will be interesting to see how the thing fits together being a short run kit but initial thoughts are positive.

I've read a few comments that it is fantastic value for money but, if you want folded wings, bomb bay doors open etc etc then you need to buy the extra add on sets and now things are getting a little pricey and so if you compare it to say the Tamiya Corsair or even the Tamiya Mosquito which is a serious amount of kit then I don't think its such great value.

A welcome kit indeed however and very interested to see how it goes together. Looking foward to a few build threads popping up very soon.

Regards. Andy 

13 hours ago, monthebiff said:

I've read a few comments that it is fantastic value for money but, if you want folded wings, bomb bay doors open etc etc then you need to buy the extra add on sets and now things are getting a little pricey and so if you compare it to say the Tamiya Corsair or even the Tamiya Mosquito which is a serious amount of kit then I don't think its such great value.

I was one of those saying great value for money and I think you are right when you add everything in - I was referring to the basic kit and didn't consider the extra's as I wasn't planning on buying all of them (I got the rear gunner and airbrakes), I was happy with the value of the bits I got but get your point if you went for everything it will be expensive and puts it up there with the more premium price point kits. 

I got one last night and I have to say it is a huge disappointment.  Like everyone, I always end up spending on aftermarket, but my take on this one is it needs the full set of etch to turn out something presentable, which will mean the kit is actually around the 200 GBP notes mark, which is very expensive in my books.

2 hours ago, simmerit said:

I got one last night and I have to say it is a huge disappointment.  Like everyone, I always end up spending on aftermarket, but my take on this one is it needs the full set of etch to turn out something presentable, which will mean the kit is actually around the 200 GBP notes mark, which is very expensive in my books.

Agreed hence my comments yesterday saying its not great value for money when you compare it to a Tamiya Corsair or even Mosquito as you get everything you need in the box with perfect fit! Also when you start building this one with all of the extra detail sets some major surgery will be needed as well to get them to fit.

Regards. Andy 

18 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Agreed hence my comments yesterday saying its not great value for money when you compare it to a Tamiya Corsair or even Mosquito as you get everything you need in the box with perfect fit! Also when you start building this one with all of the extra detail sets some major surgery will be needed as well to get them to fit.

Regards. Andy 

I'm struggling to understand the elation.  I've been waiting for this for what feels like a couple of years - massive expectation created in the build up to its release. 

I've just had another look at it and whilst the panel detail is fine,  some of it however is on a par with a 1970s matchbox kit.  The engine will have to go and my feeling is the same as yours - a lot of razor saw work coming on.....

I've just had a look at the 'extras' and they are coming in at about 80 sheets - that excludes picking up a new engine for it

Yep I guess different strokes for different folks; I really didn't expect their first Injected kit our the door to be Tamiya quality so I guess I am happy to have it.

Admittedly it is not cheap especially if you want all the extras (I fortunately did not.)

So the engine is so bad it cannot be used apparently?

2 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Yep I guess different strokes for different folks; I really didn't expect their first Injected kit our the door to be Tamiya quality so I guess I am happy to have it.

Admittedly it is not cheap especially if you want all the extras (I fortunately did not.)

The engine is ok and with some care and attention to detail with plastic rod, wire etc will look pretty good once painted and weathered, equally the inner cowl flaps will need some scratched detail adding as this will be fully on show and the wheel wells are pretty devoid of anything so plenty to add in there as well. Wheels are nicely moulded but not weighted. 

A pair of Master gun barrels would make a big difference and hopefully Quickboost will come up with some nice thin exhausts maybe.

Will be an interesting build adding the extra parts and even without that I've no idea how well the major parts mate together yet. Hopefully have an idea on that in a week or so.

Regards. Andy 

4 hours ago, npb748r said:

I guess we all see things differently based on our personal requirements, what's good value for me is clearly poor value for you.  

It was put quite nicely in one of the posts above which is you can get a Mosquito of Corsair with everything in the box. 

Its not really about the value as far as I'm concerned - its about the quality.  The pre-production stuff looked superb.  The production model is lacking in the quality I'd expect with modern design and manufacture.  The new Tool Airfix 1/48th stuff looks like you could get in a fly them.  This kit falls well short of that manufacturing standard IMHO. 

4 hours ago, petrov27 said:

It's disappointing.  Again, I'd expect better with a new design and using more up to date tools and manufacturing techniques.  We are in 2021 not 1995.  

I'm sure some of you may well think I'm being unfair but at the end of the day, its about bang for bucks for me.  I'm more than happy to put the graft in but I'd have expected more for the cash they are charging.  From a brand perception perspective, I'd rather they'd stuck all the etch in and charged an extra 40 quid for the model rather than racking up revenues with the bits you need to complete a good quality build having to be purchased separately.  

Did anyone here actually hope for Tamiya or Airfix levels of quality and value from a company making its first foray into limited-run injection-molded kits? Did anyone actually expect that? 

Frankly, Infinity’s approach to the Helldiver is a puzzlement to me, and I don’t even like the plane. Making the wing-folds add-ons makes sense to me; not everyone wants folding or folded wings, and Tamiya’s Corsair raised that bar so high that I can’t fault any kit maker for thinking twice about making them standard-issue. 

That being said, if I want good bomber value, I want good bomber, and good bomber means good bomb bay, good bomb bay-doors and good bombs in the box. Others might find the additional outlay for wing folds, superior cockpit details and perforated flaps more onerous, but “Good bomb bay and bombs sold separately!” is off-putting to me, particularly when it’s an aircraft whose bomb bay is quite visible when open.

Personally, I hope Infinity won’t make a habit of kitting aircraft with central, distinctive features sparsely detailed or nearly absent. This Helldiver might just be an awkward compromise that reflects mixed heritage and limited experience in designing and manufacturing in plastic. I can empathize with the disappointed, however, and Infinity might have regrets of its own.

Still, I look forward to seeing the Helldiver built up by the local talent.

Adam

2 hours ago, simmerit said:

It was put quite nicely in one of the posts above which is you can get a Mosquito of Corsair with everything in the box. 

but for me, I don't want tamiya level of quality with everything in the box at the prices they charge, that's not good value and is why I don't have a tamiya kit in my stash and have no intention of buying one. The measure of a good kit for me is not how detailed or accurate it is but how unusual the plane is, much it costs and how much I can scratch build into the building process.  For someone else that will be completely the wrong set of measures for what a good kit is for them. Having differing views is natural and good as we end up with choice in the market and an abundance of kits. For me this kit is good value for money (excluding all of the extras). 

I'm sure that all of the other Helldiver kits on the market will provide more for people.

Infinity really went out on a massive limb producing this kit as their first foray into plastic.  Especially at the price point for the base kit.  You could save all of that money and scratch-build everything, but you'd have to do the cost/benefit analysis of it.

The engine complaints are rather puzzling, especially given that the engine really isn't that visible behind the prop spinner.

Matt