Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver update

Jan_G

On 4/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I'll be interested in seeing reviews. I wonder how much this beast (see what I did there?) will cost?

it's being offered by the aviation mega store in the netherlands with a preliminary price of about €100 (including VAT for the dutch), but not released yet.

10 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

For the export versions (Thailand, France, Greece, Italy) a clear non framed canopy is needed, and some sources claim the bomb bay was bigger (but I doubt this, maybe it is just something written on the internet).

Hi Alburymodeler,

From Wikipedia references, it appears that the Greek aircraft were slightly modified for their own use (see below), but from the photograph of the aircraft, the canopy appears to be the standard type for a SBC2C-5 aircraft (it is unlikely that Greek helldivers would have had an enlarged bomb bay).

Greek service[edit]

American aid provided the Royal Hellenic Air Force with 48 Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldivers from surplus U.S. Navy stocks. The aircraft were delivered by the aircraft carrier USS Sicily (CVE-118) in the spring of 1949. From the 48 aircraft, 6 were used for ground instruction or spare parts and 42 were given to 336th Fighter Squadron (336 Μοίρα Διώξεως) to replace Supermarine Spitfires and the squadron's name was changed to 336th Bomber Squadron (336 Μοίρα Βομβαρδισμού).[24]

Greek SB2C-5 Helldivers had minor changes for their COIN operations: the hard rubber tailwheel (for carrier use) was replaced by a bigger pneumatic tire for use on landing strips; and the rear gunner station and its twin MGs were deleted, as no aerial opposition existed and weight reduction was used for bombs and extra machine guns.

Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldivers, Supermarine Spitfires, and North American T-6D/Gs were used in ground-attack missions against Communist ground forces, camps, and transports during the last stages of the Greek Civil War.[25][26]

Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldivers saw a relatively brief combat service and were gradually phased out by 1953.[24] A few were in use until 1957 as photographic aircraft. One Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver was restored in 1997 and is displayed in the Hellenic Air Force Museum.[27]

Best regards

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, Alburymodeler said:

For the export versions (Thailand, France, Greece, Italy) a clear non framed canopy is needed, and some sources claim the bomb bay was bigger (but I doubt this, maybe it is just something written on the internet).

The Special Hobby -5 kit includes the updated bits, including both a new canopy and bomb bay.

Matt