RF-8 Crusader

I would be grateful if you could enlighten me as to the differences between the RF-8A and RF-8G please?

I know that the 'G' is an updated 'A' but I'm not clear if the number of camera windows changed from 2 a side to 2 on the starboard side and 1 on the port or whether I'm getting that idea because maybe the second port camera door is closed? Also, is the jet based on the small stab 'E' model or larger stab 'J' ? I know that the seat evolved from the Vought seat to a Martin Baker device. I am bit limited on references having an old Squadron Signal with a high picture content - including quite a few RF's - but not many words! 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the changes were aircraft-specific, so to be certain, you should research the specific plane you wish to model.  All RF-8Gs got an uprated engine, but externally there were no visual differences from that.  144 RF-8As were built, 73 of these were converted to RF-8Gs.

RF-8 changes were different than the changes to the F-8 fighter models.  For example, it was standard from the F-8C onward to include the afterburner cooling scoops on either side of the vertical tail.  RF-8s were different, there were many RF-8Gs that did not get these scoops installed.  the fighter conversions were a lot more standardized.

The ventral fins is one common change....this was visually the biggest and most common change between the -A and -G.  The vertical tail also had either no antenna installed or one of three different variants installed depending on the plane.  Some specific planes actually had different antennas in this place over time.  Here are some examples of this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/812/pics/3_98.png  this one has just a small bump on the trailing edge of the vertical tail

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/812/pics/3_98_b1.png this one has the same as the first, but includes the larger fairing on the leading edge as well

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MM/MM-250/1028-11-2-1.jpg  this one has a longer antenna than the others

It was still possible, though rarer than the above options, to have none of those antennas at all installed on RF-8Gs.  The RF-8A typically had no such antenna on the tail.

As far as the camera placements, the camera bays on the RF-8G as far as I can recall had no changes compared to the RF-8As....they were able to be changed so that different cameras could be carried.  Again, researching the specific plane you wish to model will be helpful here, because not all RF-8s flew with the same camera/window arrangement all the time.

There should be no other visual differences.  The -G models did not get any of the "final" changes like BLC or the double droop leading edge like the F-8J got, so the regular kit parts will work fine for those.  

EDIT--reread your original post.  The stabs were the small stabs, and were the same on both models.  The seat changed from the lightweight Vought model to the MB seat early on, but two different MB seats were used in the Crusaders.  First was the Mk. 5, which was swapped for the later Mk. 7.  The two MB seats looked the same with the exception of the rocket pack at the bottom.  The Mk. 7 had zero zero capability while the Mk 5 did not.  Hope this helps.

Edited by f8fanatic

Thank you for that very comprehensive explanation! All I have to do now is find a Fisher conversion! I’m looking for a C, simply because I could use the resin for a C or a G as I already have the CAM sheet - it pays to be prepared!!

Thanks again

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2020 at 10:47 PM, SimonCornes said:

Thank you for that very comprehensive explanation! All I have to do now is find a Fisher conversion! I’m looking for a C, simply because I could use the resin for a C or a G as I already have the CAM sheet - it pays to be prepared!!

Thanks again

I finally got hold of the conversion!!