Trumpeter Harrier II AV-8B

Robthepom

I opened this box with my eyes wide open as to what to expect, what will I fix.....hummmmmm probably only the LERX underside and I'm unsure what to do with the load out

But really i have no plan yet, but hey that wont stop me making a start, right!! ........Note to self buy a riveting wheel, the fuselage is a bit bland

I have to say the Aries cockpit is beautiful, what a piece of engineering in one little package. 

So here goes for my first ever Trumpeter kit, of my favorite aircraft

wdVwxIj.jpg

nhOaZhB.jpg

NYSxhVR.jpg

Ff1YNYN.jpg

Edited by Robthepom

21 hours ago, Robthepom said:

I opened this box with my eyes wide open as to what to expect, what will I fix.....hummmmmm probably only the LERX underside and I'm unsure what to do with the load out

But really i have no plan yet, but hey that wont stop me making a start, right!! ........Note to self buy a riveting wheel, the fuselage is a bit bland

I have to say the Aries cockpit is beautiful, what a piece of engineering in one little package. 

So here goes for my first ever Trumpeter kit, of my favorite aircraft

wdVwxIj.jpg

nhOaZhB.jpg

NYSxhVR.jpg

Ff1YNYN.jpg

Not sure how this got linked to Rob's article but I'm happy to see it brought back up. :) Masters are still in progress but I was made aware of somebody else putting some new AV 8 Stuff out so I stopped for now until I see their offerings and started another project. They are totally build-able kits and a lot of fun. They just some  flaws that  make it challenging if you want more accuracy beyond adding rivets. etc. Shape issues with the nose shape, proportions and length, length of the tail scoop fairing, Chaff flare launchers are useless in the kit.. Pylons misshapen, Wing angles are  odd etc..

If you dont know anything other than it looks like a Harrier,  and it does to most folks on the planet, a wonderful OOB model can be built. There  certainly hasn't been any nasty Trumpeter induced  fit issues on my examples

Best of luck on yours =-) 

Paul

Hey Paul, i added the link into my post for the great references that are in the thread and thanks for the advice. I will only be doing very minor changes, more rivits and panel lines, just the simple stuff

Would love to see more info and details of extras being done for the pylons and load out, its the only thing really bothering me at the moment, but I'll stick my head in the sand until i get to that stage

Cockpit progress, still ongoing, i have fitted the pit into the fuselage halves once but dont seem to be able to get it to fit anymore, funny

I used MrSurfacer 1500 for the primer and came out really good, i have never used it before and was really easy

UTv8Y69.jpg

3IwOTtK.jpg

Up8QFC3.jpg

jkwAqId.jpg

tMSW8aa.jpg

PZkZtbq.jpg

20 hours ago, Dutch Man said:

Like said. How do you get such smooth color on micro cm2?

Robert Jan, fighting with his air brushes today, 2 down, one to go....

Regards...

I use an Australian made ready to spray lacquer acrylic, which is such a great product and i highly recommend 

1iO04j2.jpg

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/

The highlights are done with Tamiya acrylics

Thanks for the reply. Little chance I get that stuff in a plane to Thailand. 

(If it's a lacquer... you can make a firebomb out of it policy), at least it's not Covid-19, so will check

It looks just very good. See what my LHS in online Thailand  can do with this information.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Pulling up a chair to learn for when I get around to mine (will be doing the NA variant.) Interesting point that I just noticed, the box art seems to omit the leading edge kink. Is it modeled on the actual molding of the wings?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, Crew Dog said:

Pulling up a chair to learn for when I get around to mine (will be doing the NA variant.) Interesting point that I just noticed, the box art seems to omit the leading edge kink. Is it modeled on the actual molding of the wings?

no there is no kink in the actual parts, I wont be fixing the issue for me  its hardly noticeable so i wont be changing the wings

i did a bit of dry fitting and all the fits are acceptable, so not bad from trumpeter, i also completed and weathered the landing gear, which i have made removable make the masking easier when i do the camo scheme

EbdgRcN.jpg

P3Xcmn1.jpg

thanks for looking