FW190-A3 by PCM - My Christmas Raffle Build- FINISHED

On 3/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice paint job!

I find the upper crosses very non standard. Can you tell us more about them?

Alain

Ha! Too funny. I didn’t notice that when it was just slits in the tape. I think i made them in one of those “other” scales by mistake :hmmm:

guess I’ll work on that tomorrow lol

edit-figured it out. I pulled the wrong mask off. The upper cross is made from the pattern with black on the outer edge. I pulled that piece instead of the inner one for the white outline.

Edited by themongoose

Shawn M you're gonna enjoy this build when you get to it. Don't let this one languish in the stash!

Alain and Ray thanks for the encouragement! 

Today I got decals on and took the next step...2nd weak point, which is highlighted in the CyberModeler build review is that the gear legs don't have a good attachment setup. I drilled a hole in the leg and inserted some brass rod. This at least gave me a solid post to place in the hole in the gear bay. The plastic post on the gear leg is really small and doesn't lock into the hole at all.

IMG_8126-XL.jpg

Now that the decals are on I'm not worried about moving the model around and breaking the gear so let's install it.

I made a jig for alignment out of telescoping brass rod pieces. Once I had everything aligned (double checked with the protractor in the pic), I locked it all down with thick CA. Fells pretty good so far but I'll leave it for an hour or so before i remove the alignment jig.

IMG_3124-L.jpg

IMG_3122-L.jpg

I hope this final set of pics does it justice! She's all done. Unfortunately I lost the sun before I could take pics. I did beat the rain though :shrug:

Everything is straight out of the box. Every part PCM showed in the instructions made it onto the plane, including the teeny tiny seat belt bracket. Since I'm not familiar with German WWII aircraft colors I painted everything right from the PCM call-outs. This was a tremendously fun build. Kit went together great. There's a few watch-outs I've come across since my last post so I'll highlight those in this final set of pics. I am working on a base for it so may add that in here later.

These 1st 2 are my favorite pics...

IMG_8171-L.jpg

IMG_8177-L.jpg

Since I usually do jets this was new. Tried some scratching along the wings with a piece of foam and some silver paint. Thought it would tone down under the dullcoat but it didn't. What do you guys think of it? 

Adjustments-L.jpg

IMG_3131-L.jpg

The wheel shafts were about 2mm too long. I cut off 1mm and drilled out 1mm on the wheel so that they sat in tight to the gear leg. It shows up even better in the underside pic

IMG_8193-L.jpg

IMG_8188-L.jpg

I used Vallejo washes and AK powder to do all the weathering. Same story as above, although there are some similarities here to jets. Maybe more blending at the end of the black oil type streaking, what do you think?

IMG_8191-XL.jpg

There's no mount for the step. If I had seen this ahead of time I would have drilled 2 pilot holes before painting. Also mount the nose guns before gluing on the cowling in front of the windscreen...or the guns may fall into the fuselage, never to return. Fortunately mine didn't. I set them in place with canopy glue to make sure they didn't slide into it.

IMG_8185-XL.jpg

Here's those seat belt brackets

IMG_8179-XL.jpg

IMG_8204-L.jpg

Thanks for tagging along with me. Till next time, model on!

• themongoose changed the title to FW190-A3 by PCM - My Christmas Raffle Build- FINISHED