Italeri TF-104G Marineflieger - final struggle

Fanes

With my Bf 110 finished and the Spitfire project put to a halt, I decided to start my first ever large scale jet build!

I've always had a thing for the Starfigher - especially in the livery of the german navy. My build will be Italeri's double seater with some AM.

Not having decided which exact plane I'll be building,here's a picture from one of my favourites:

52636-34859-79-720.jpg

(source: airliners.net)

I'll post the project inventory later today.

Cheers

Joachim

Edited by Fanes
title change

Good choice Joachim! I have one on the shelf of doom (not due to the kit by my own additions) and it seemed to go together really well so far. I think there was another German TF here finished on the forums.  Looking forward to progress! 

Project inventory

720283-34859-85.jpg

What will be used?

• obviously the Italeri kit
  • eduard MB.7 ejection seats (second one is on order)
  • eduard wheels
  • eduard nozzle
  • Master pitot tube

additional stuff I'm considering to buy:

• Quickboost control levers
  • Airscale instrument dials
  • Videoaviation intake covers

My plan is to cut masks for most of the insignia and the kit's decals for the stencils. Maybe I need to get decals for the squadron emblems.

That's it so far.

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I think there was another German TF here finished on the forums.

You're right Brian - there's Bill's build from last year and - although it's a single seater - another Marine Starfighter from Werner!

The original 28+20

No work on th kit so far - I'm still waiting for some small stuff.

But I'm already thinking about the finish my Starfighter might recieve.

28+20 or construction number 583F-5950 (built by Messerschmitt) served for quite some time.

First flight was in 1967 as part of JaboG 36, transfer to the navy was in 1974 to MFG2 where it was flown until 1986.

The photo form my first post is form that era. There are many more out there and they all show a Starfighter in pristine condition.

That changed somehow when it was transfered to JaboG 34. There's a beautiful picture from that period on flickr (embedding doesn't work).

Afterwards there was a short interlude at LVR 1 before it was sold to the turkish air force in 1987. The history seems to end in 1994 when it presumably got scraped.
(source 916-starfighter.de)

So after a lot of text - what do you guys think:
a clean and typical Marineflieger, or the later version with worn paint with touch ups?

5 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking forward to this since I’ve been thinking of doing the same.  One thing that I wasn’t sure of was whether the TFs also received the upgraded engine like the single-seaters.

That question occupied me for quite some time, too.

But 916-starfighter to the rescue - they list the MTU engine for the double seater as well.

The pit

I couldn't resist any longer and used a rainy afternoon to start my build!

First bits: the Eduard MB-GQ7A ejection seats.

723465-34859-70.jpg

After some happy sawing and sanding I tacked some pieces temporarily in place to do a comparison with the kit seat

I guess th picture says it all:

723464-34859-69.jpg

Next up was the dry fit of the seat rails to the tub and the rear wall which turned out okayish(1 mm too high). Note: I drilled through all the lightening holes in the rails.

723463-34859-74.jpg

Speaking of the rear wall - Italeri simplified that part a little bit. Here it is with the real thing in the background (from the marvellous Daco book)

723468-34859-85.jpg

I'm not sure if I should start detailing here. It would be a lot of work to get somehow close to the original.

More struggle ahead - the ejection seat's handles:

723466-34859-25.jpg

The kit part is clearly undersized but the flat PE thingy isn't stellar as well. I guess scratch building it is?

And the last comparison for today

723467-34859-24.jpg

The Italeri stick compared to the one from Quickboost. Now it gets complicated: the TF-104G didn't use the stick from the F-104G but the one from the F-104A/D.

So the Quickboost stick is no match. My idea so far: transplanting the better detailed grip to the kit part.

That's all for today

Joachim

17 hours ago, Lothar said:

I'll be following this with great interest Joachim. I fancy a Belgian one with C-2 seats myself, but

there's always a lot to learn from your work.

Lothar

Thanks Lothar! I hope to get to meet you when that Coronoa thingy is over. After all we're just living about 10km apart.

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Will be watching as ever Joachim, one question though.......you’re thinking of a clean finish! :o

Shocking - isn't it? :D

Because of the fine weather I only managed to do some small stuff .

The Italeri stick recieved its Quickboost grip (reinforced with a piece of wire) and here it is compared to its sibling

724019-34859-99.jpg

Unfortunately Italeri has only included the "fighter style" control column for the front cockpit (seen on the right above) which is wrong for the double seater.
Since I can't cast a resin copy of the rear stick, I'll have to look for spare parts. I made my enquiry with the distributor yesterday and they can supply me with the needes parts for ~13€ - that's about a sixth of what I paid for the whole kit! I'll make may decision on that later on.

Jumping to the next issue - the front instrument panel coaming. The kit part is - at least to my eye - merely a joke compared to the real thing

724020-34859-76.jpg

I'll try to scratch the canvas cover with some foil and I'll dig through my spare parts for the compass (port side on the coaming).

Stay tuned.

Joachim