Italeri TF-104G Marineflieger - final struggle

Fanes

Sorry to hear about your windscreen problems Jochim - it makes me wonder if the Hasegawa windscreen would fit as a potential replacement to allow you to continue?

I hope that you manage to overcome this issue and carry on with this wonderful build.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Sorry to hear about your windscreen problems Fanes - it makes me wonder if the Hasegawa windscreen would fit as a potential replacement to allow you to continue?

I hope that you manage to overcome this issue and carry on with this wonderful build.

Regards

Derek

Thanks for the idea Derek! I have to investigate if there are any differences between the tow kits and their windscreens.

The good news so far: Italeri can supply an replacement sprue with the clear parts.

The bad news: it's right now out of stock at the importer and backordering takes between 4 and 8 weeks.

Luckily I'm patient and other projects waiting for me (looking at you Spitfire FR IX conversion)..

Cheers

Joachim

Small bits and stuff

The Zipper sits on a shelf but it's not the SoD.

So I tackled some small stuff to keep the momentum going.

The wheels were painted, weathered and assembled.

928072-34859-53-1440.jpg

I shamelessly copied Thunnus' technique from his Me 262 - tyre black followed by beige and brown for the dust and wear and a black wash to show the clean tread pattern.

To add another colourful spot the ladders were painted yellow and recieved a heavy weathering:

928073-34859-78-pristine.jpg

Scrolling through the DACO book I noticed that the Zipper's overall finish is quite shiny or more precisely everything but dead flat.

Altough there's one exception: the faded dayglo has no sheen at all. Tried to replicate the effect with a coat of ultra matte from AK

928075-34859-95-1440.jpg

And the last one for today:

the elcectronics bay is finally assembled and ready for its acces door (will be added at last)

928074-34859-90-1440.jpg

The dreaded macro shot - I can now celarly see the edge of the decals in the upper right corner of the picture :BANGHEAD2:

• 1 month later...

Rescued from the SoD

After a long wait and quite a lot of money for a small sprue, the replacement clear parts from Italeri have arrived.

I was playing with the idea to redo the canopies as well since they have some mishaps on the frame but the replacement parts were horribly distorted.

Luckily the windshield was okay so out with the Tamiya tape

958210-34859-56-1440.jpg

And quickly afterwards Alclad's black primer

958209-34859-35-1440.jpg

The rivet detail on this part is really odd. They are really inconsistent and even disappear completely on the lower frame. Wth?

I just checked my butchered up kit part and there the rivets are fine.

Not an easy task since Italeri's rivets are huge and deep my rivet wheel won't make the cut - especially not on a brittle clear part.

18 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

The rivets do indeed look odd. Could you use a 0.2 mm or 0.3mm drill bit to recreate the missing rivets? That should work even on brittle plastic.

Rainer

Fantastic idea Rainer!

I'll try that after filling the odd rivets with CA.

4 hours ago, Fanes said:

Fantastic idea Rainer!

I'll try that after filling the odd rivets with CA.

If you add some talcum powder (any type) with the CA, it will be much easier to sand - Good luck with your wonderful build Jochim; nearly there now!

Cheers

Derek

20 hours ago, Derek B said:

If you add some talcum powder (any type) with the CA, it will be much easier to sand - Good luck with your wonderful build Jochim; nearly there now!

Cheers

Derek

Little too late Derek. I saw your response about 10mins after applying the CA.

Sanding after around one hour was okayish and drilling the rivets with a 0.35 mm bit worked a charm.

959960-34859-34-1440.jpg

Not perfect but much better now. Next up: repainting the inside dark gull grey and the outside with RAL 7012!

• 3 weeks later...

New windscreen in place!

Well it's there now. Fit isn't perfect but at this point it was way too risky to wrestle it into a perfectly smooth fit.

973842-34859-68-1440.jpg

Afterwards I started adding all the small stuff and big stuff like the drop tanks.

Here's a quick shot from the bench.

973843-34859-97-1440.jpg

I really need to look for a photo backdrop for this big beauty