Italeri TF-104G Marineflieger - final struggle

Fanes

• 3 weeks later...

After not getting to the bench in two weeks vacation I made some progress today.

The blck primer is on, some clean up on th seams has been done and now the zipper is ready for paint

828427-34859-31-1440.jpg

My plan is to paint most of the markings before the actual camo. So with a little patience I drew all the templates for the Silhouette cutter.

828431-34859-63-p.jpg

Drawing the letters with outline is a tedious taskn and applying the masks to the model (even with transfer silm) will be incredibly fiddly.

As one might guess from the numbers - I decided to go for 27+81 which appears quite clean and tidy in most pictures with some touch ups on the tail. I think those make a great contrast to the otherwise "boring" two tone camo.

Cheers

Joachim

Edited by Fanes

• 2 weeks later...

Building and painting has stalled to sloth speed, but I was able to make minor progress yesterday.

I went a little bit crazy with cutting masks and now I have the crosses, codes, flags and even the MFG2 patch which has details smaller than 1mm.

Prepping for masks means in my procedure: black base (already on), then painting all the insignia etc. - applying masks and then camo painting.

I'm not applying the masks like decals afterwards since I had some problems with paint build up in the past (especially with white, red and yellow).

So to start of a white marbel in all the relevant places

832925-34859-27-1440.jpg

Followed by a blend coat - 50/50 from Gunze off-white and Tamiya white. Pure off-white turns out too dirty in my opinion.

832924-34859-33-1440.jpg

And a close up:

832926-34859-58-1440.jpg

I used a lot of levelling thinner for the blending to achieve a smooth and even top coat. Additionally I hope to get a good adhesion/cohesion to not pull any paint since the masks will stay on for quite some time.

I'll let everything dry for a day and will struggle to align the masks afterwards.

Until then

Joachim

Well I had another look at the tip tanks.
But first here's what I started with.

A white marble blended in a little bit less than the insignia. Followed by a yellow marble on the uppersides to depict the typical fading of the dayglo orange.

833411-34859-15-1440.jpg

Then I added the orange (again MRP) and I knew that th colour depends a lot on the base coat since it's more like a transparent ink.

833632-34859-66-1440.jpg

I'm not really sure what to think of the result. The yellow udnercoat on the upper sides ( front in the picture) worked quite well but the white marble on the bottom and the sides (the rear one) looks quite unrealistic. I'm considering to sand everything of and start over with a white base and yellow marble for the uppers.
What do you guys think?

What would it look like if you were to put several layers of the dayglo on the underside alone?  Would that even out the mottling effect, or would it take an unrealistic numbers of layers to achieve this?  Asking as I have no experience with the dayglo, and it is a feature of my next project, so I rather not experiment if I do not have to.

11 hours ago, Lothar said:

I'd go with the yellow undercoat, looks excellent.

Lothar

My thoughts exactly - sanding stick it is then!

7 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

What would it look like if you were to put several layers of the dayglo on the underside alone?  Would that even out the mottling effect, or would it take an unrealistic numbers of layers to achieve this?  Asking as I have no experience with the dayglo, and it is a feature of my next project, so I rather not experiment if I do not have to.

Good point! I tried that but gave up since the number of coats necessary seems to be infinity.
Now we have:
white undercoat (drying as I'm writing) to even out all contrast, followed by yellow which will add the desired contrast

Repainting is done and finished but taking photos was quite a hard task. Somehow the orange doesn't react well to artificial light (even though it's close to daylight).
Anyhow - little contrast can be seen and I promise it's more visible in reality. Unfortunately I can't take new pictures since the tanks are already masked up.

835364-34859-63-1440.jpg

Top is the upperside and at the bottom is the tank's belly.

One step closer to the finishline: the codes and insignia are finally painted.

I used a 60/40 mixture of tamiya NATO black and gloss black to get a dirty satin black. I'll add the rest of the masks today evening and then the zipper is ready for its camo.

835363-34859-87-1440.jpg

If one of the mods swings by: This thread can be moved to the Work in Progress forums since painting, decalling and finishing the zipper up will for sure take one more month.

Until then

Joachim

6 hours ago, Fanes said:

If one of the mods swings by: This thread can be moved to the Work in Progress forums since painting, decalling and finishing the zipper up will for sure take one more month.

19 minutes ago, BradG said:

@LSP_Kevin Could you move this please to WIP.

Done!

Kev