USAAFE F-15C

Cheetah11

The paint is on at last.

D537B57E-2800-4836-B977-3CCF9AD2632B.jpg

I spent 3 days on the decals, then pulled some of it off. Despite polishing the paint and trying three different decal adhesives and two different softener, the insignia that I used first from the kit and then some of a Dutch decal sheet all silvered, I do not think the Dutch Decal has a problem with quality, they are just 25 years old. I am not familiar with the decal printing process, but after careful scrutiny it appears the silvering occurs between two layers of carrier film.

I did not want to use masks for the USAAF insignia as I thought it will not be able to cut fine enough, but now I had no choice. Eight different masks layers later I managed to get an insignia on top of the wing. Not perfect but it will pass the three feet test. The slime lights on decal sheets are mostly depicted new or the wrong color. I mixed a color as close as possible to the photo of the particular aircraft I am modeling, and airbrushed it on.

D56C7F8E-EF25-4CE7-BF2A-A3FE3B771D5E.jpg

One more thing fixed today was the front strut. I noticed on my previous F-15I build the sit of the model was nose down compared to photos. At the time I thought the model was mastered off an empty aircraft with struts extended, I fixed it on that build by deepening the wheel well, and it worked fine. On this build I had a good look at photos and the main gear struts do not seem extended at all, so I left it. I pot the gear on and the model had quite a nose down attitude since I also shortened the nose wheel fork by 2mm. The only solution was to use an 8mm aluminium tube on the nose strut.

E99349DC-B471-4F92-871D-E07DCB146D88.jpg

Happy Modeling

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

hi Nick

maybe , it's too late ( yes of  course !!) but the dry transfert could be a good alternative  , hobby decals has a complete sheet dedicated to the F 15 ( stencils , insignia etc.....) it could be worth it 

Alain

Hi Alain

24 minutes ago, alain11 said:

hi Nick

maybe , it's too late ( yes of  course !!) but the dry transfert could be a good alternative  , hobby decals has a complete sheet dedicated to the F 15 ( stencils , insignia etc.....) it could be worth it 

Alain

If I can only get it!! All their 1/32 decals seem to be out of stock. Then there is our postal system:BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

On 4/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, jenshb said:

Are HobbyDecal still in business?  They seem to be out of stock of a lot of items, and not bringing out any new stuff.

Nice paint finish on that big canvas Nick.

I did some work for Kim (on the Royal Navy Phantom sheet) back in 2008.

Haven't had any further responses to other enquiries for over 10 years now.

A quick update. Decals on. I built a 1/32 F-15I about 12 years ago with Isradecal decals, so I had the decal sheet from the F-15E spare. A little silvering but I will live with it. One thing I did as well which I think makes a model more realistic was to mist the decals with the base color. This just takes the contrast off the pure black of the decals giving a better scale appearance. ( My theory anyway :whistle:.)

357F8E96-D20B-493C-A2CA-1E21F1DEDA76.jpg

Belly tank on. I am pleased I spent a bit of time to get the shape right.

8A3A0E51-58BB-4D4E-BC86-B54A8C58CE22.jpg

A bit more details to finish.

C3AAAF5C-68C7-45B4-AC71-03EAA5AD166D.jpg

7A3717A7-540B-4E7E-8E74-0A9104B604D9.jpg

happy modeling

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

On 4/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Alain

If I can only get it!! All their 1/32 decals seem to be out of stock. Then there is our postal system:BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nic,

I know it's a bit late but I found some Hobbydecal left over.... in perfect shape.

tb95uEUl.jpg

I can have them in the mail today.... PM me.

Dan.