Waterslide decals without a gloss varnish basecoat

Modeller 01

Hi folks,

In this video I'm showing how to apply decals without a gloss varnish basecoat (for models with fine&shallow panel lines). I used older decal for demonstration purpose, 

best results are achieved with highest quality decals.

I`ve been reading lately about applying decals over a `matt` surface. What`s your opinion about that?

Cheers!

Edited by Modeller 01

Ever tried using Aqua Gloss under a decal? Instead of a gloss coat or polished paint put a drop or more of Aqua Gloss on the model and then apply the decal, blot up any excess and apply a little setting solution. Nothing else needed. The decal will be sucked down into every detail. Might get the same result with any other gloss clear acrylic, but I haven't tried it.

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

Ive used Future  on decals (mainly just stencil type decals that have lots of clear carrier on them + text) that need to be applied to foil. In that case polishing is not possible as it destroys the grain of the foil, which is what generally gives the foil its realistic appearance. In that case I just put a drop of Future down where the decal should go, then press out with a warm damp cloth from there.