Cleaning an Iwata HP-C

Woody V

I have found an ultrasonic cleaner ($50 from Harbor Freight) to greatly help with cleaning, particularly if I go too long between thorough cleaning sessions.  I first put the removable parts (primarily the nozzle parts) in a small jar filled with hardware store lacquer thinner.  I place that jar in the ultrasonic cleaner with enough water + degreaser (lately I've just been using Mr. Clean) in the cleaner to come up to just below the rim of the jar.  I place the body of the airbrush and parts too large to fit into the small bottle into the water in the cleaner.  I run it through a 4-6 minute cycle.  I then remove the small parts from the jar of lacquer thinner and put them directly in the ultrasonic cleaner.  After a 3-4 minute cycle, there will be a noticeable cloud of paint residue around the small parts.  I purposely bought my ultrasonic cleaner 15+ years ago for cleaning my airbrush.  It has proven useful for many other purposes, one of which is helping to get paint jar lids to come unstuck.  Place the paint jar upside down in the cleaner with enough water to submerge the complete cap of the paint jar.  Run for 4-6 minutes, and the cap should come right off.

14 hours ago, RLWP said:

Cleaning the damn thing is the main reason I don't use an airbrush

I'll give this thread a careful read. I'd appreciate a really good, illustrated guide to airbrush cleaning if anyone knows of one

Richard

If you haven't used an airbrush, I suggest using a Paasche Talon, Iwata Eclipse or a Badger Patriot. I have all three(I am an airbrush junkie, and I admit I have a problem). All three have self centring nozzles. Meaning the nozzles are large, don't need be screwed in(except the Talon, but it itself is large and super easy to remount). And super easy to clean. I basically learned how to airbrush well with Talon. Cleaning with lacquer thinner is easy and super effective. If you are going to try using an airbrush(the results, with some practice are awesome!) try one of these I mentioned. And I still use them for different tasks. You can do things with an airbrush that really aren't possible with brushing alone. Good Luck!

6 hours ago, Dainis said:

If you haven't used an airbrush, I suggest using a Paasche Talon, Iwata Eclipse or a Badger Patriot. I have all three(I am an airbrush junkie, and I admit I have a problem). All three have self centring nozzles. Meaning the nozzles are large, don't need be screwed in(except the Talon, but it itself is large and super easy to remount). And super easy to clean. I basically learned how to airbrush well with Talon. Cleaning with lacquer thinner is easy and super effective. If you are going to try using an airbrush(the results, with some practice are awesome!) try one of these I mentioned. And I still use them for different tasks. You can do things with an airbrush that really aren't possible with brushing alone. Good Luck!

I do have a rather nice dual action airbrush, which is how I learned just how much I hate cleaning it

I think i am going to have to revisit what it is, what paints I am spraying and how I am cleaning it, then come back with some specific questions

Richard

I must chime in WRT removing the nozzle on an Iwata airbrush:  Don't do it!, unless you really have to in order to remove an obstruction or routine tear-down after many spray sessions.  The Iwata nozzles are very finely crafted brass and on some, like my CM-C Plus that's 0.18mm, the nozzle is actually matched to the needle and the tolerances are very tight.  The nozzles are super tiny and easily lost or damaged, so avoid removing it unless you really have to.  That doesn't mean you never do, but to do so after each spray session is asking for trouble IMO.

BTW, the nozzles alone are $44 US before shipping.

Cheers,

Chuck

38 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

I must chime in WRT removing the nozzle on an Iwata airbrush:  Don't do it!, unless you really have to in order to remove an obstruction or routine tear-down after many spray sessions.  The Iwata nozzles are very finely crafted brass and on some, like my CM-C Plus that's 0.18mm, the nozzle is actually matched to the needle and the tolerances are very tight.  The nozzles are super tiny and easily lost or damaged, so avoid removing it unless you really have to.  That doesn't mean you never do, but to do so after each spray session is asking for trouble IMO.

Cheers,

Chuck

I completely agree with you, especially if you use lacquer based paints. It's one of the big reasons I got away from spraying water based acrylic paints. Water based acrylics will clog a nozzle and require needle removal. Once they dry they are a pain to clear out.

On March 16, 2020 at 5:27 PM, chuck540z3 said:

I have both the HP-C Plus and CM-C Plus and this is what I do, which is quick (< 5 minutes), effective and I don't ever play with the front nozzle unless I'm doing a full tear down, which is usually after 30-50 spray sessions.

Outstanding response and I'll be changing my cleaning routine based on yours. One thing I think you forgot to mention is cleaning out the nozzle protector, which I clean with a solvent soaked old brush. Even with lacquers a thin coat of dried paint is there.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Cheers,

Chuck

You're probably right that I'm playing with fire. A couple of costly mistakes the first few times..seem to have solved it. But yes, risky to some extent nonetheless.