Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000D/N out now

Lothar

I'll be getting my kit tomorrow, but I'm already a bit disappointed after reading about all the

obvious shortcomings. I was hoping for a straightforward build with no problems to consider.

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

I'll be getting my kit tomorrow, but I'm already a bit disappointed after reading about all the

obvious shortcomings. I was hoping for a straightforward build with no problems to consider.

Then I would guess that LSP modeling in general is greatly disappointing to you?

9 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

Then I would guess that LSP modeling in general is greatly disappointing to you?

Comments like yours are.I was just expressing my hopes, if that doesn't please you,

your decision.

Edited by Lothar

My impression of the Mirage kits is that they are very nicely done, well detailed, and include a lot of fine detail that is not only correct, but also normally missed in Mirage 2000 kits.  But there are a few head scratching things.  The Mirage 2000C kit is fine straight out of the box as a French C, as well as a few other nation’s versions.  The box options of tanks, Super 530s, and Magic 2s covers the most common weapons options for the C.  If you want a 2000-5, it mostly just requires a new instrument panel.  

The D/N kit mostly needs the correct instrument panels for both the D and N models.  From the box, you can do the AS-30L loadout, as well as the SCALP loadout.  For the GBU loadout, you just need the bombs because the AUF-2 rack is also included.  GBU-12s are available from Eduard, among others, and the CMK “GBU-12s” are actually GBU-49s (although you need to reposition the GPS domes 90 degrees since they should be top/bottom instead of right/left).

All it really takes to “fix” the kits in my opinion is some small amount of aftermarket, mostly instrument panels.  And maybe some decal corrections.  We’ve put up with bigger errors in other kits, IMHO.

Edited by Dave Williams

39 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

All it really takes to “fix” the kits in my opinion is some small amount of aftermarket, mostly instrument panels.  And maybe some decal corrections.  We’ve put up with bigger errors in other kits, IMHO.

+

meshed fwd cockpit deck, turned brass pitot (modification from Mirage III possible??), Eduard BRONZE undercarriage legs (as I understand they are not cast but 3D printed??), we already have very nice Resi Cast wheels.

4 hours ago, Lothar said:

I was hoping for a straightforward build with no problems to consider.

I understand your frustration. Unfortunatly KH and "straighforward build with no pb" do not belong together...:unsure:

Unless you just put the pieces together without taking care about accuracy.

Edited by discus

51 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

My impression of the Mirage kits is that they are very nicely done, well detailed, and include a lot of fine detail that is not only correct, but also normally missed in Mirage 2000 kits.  But there are a few head scratching things.  The Mirage 2000C kit is fine straight out of the box as a French C, as well as a few other nation’s versions.  The box options of tanks, Super 530s, and Magic 2s covers the most common weapons options for the C.  If you want a 2000-5, it mostly just requires a new instrument panel.  

The D/N kit mostly needs the correct instrument panels for both the D and N models.  From the box, you can do the AS-30L loadout, as well as the SCALP loadout.  For the GBU loadout, you just need the bombs because the AUF-2 rack is also included.  GBU-12s are available from Eduard, among others, and the CMK “GBU-12s” are actually GBU-49s (although you need to reposition the GPS domes 90 degrees since they should be top/bottom instead of right/left).

Fully agree but I think most of us are frustrated because what could have been regarded as errors or lack of documentation or research possibilities some years ago can only be considered as carelessness today given the ressources available (and yes they have limitation on the internet in their country but that's not an excuse when you manage to scan the real thing in France as they did)

Edited by discus