Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000D/N out now

Lothar

Hey Jari, did that thing land itself or did the crew punch out at the last minute? Looks like there's no 'glass' in the canopies and the ejection pistons are fully extended. The reason I say landed itself is I believe an RAAF Mirage did that after the pilot ejected.

TRF

Weird FedEx tracking aside, my kits arrived today, as originally promised.

Whats the situation with MICA on the 2000Ds with regards to the under intake and under fuselage pylons?  TIA.

Sweet!  It came with 5 surgical masks in a ziplock bad as a bonus.  Thanks KH!

Edited by Dave Williams

10 hours ago, fastterry said:

Hey Jari, did that thing land itself or did the crew punch out at the last minute? Looks like there's no 'glass' in the canopies and the ejection pistons are fully extended. The reason I say landed itself is I believe an RAAF Mirage did that after the pilot ejected.

TRF

It had a engine failure over Afghanistan at low altitude, the crew ejected and were rescued and the aircraft was recovered, but written off:

122725_5cdccdc7eaa45French_Mirage_Recove

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Whats the situation with MICA on the 2000Ds with regards to the under intake and under fuselage pylons?  TIA.

Missiles and Scalp:

mirage200_1469017874.jpg

Here is one pulling up for fuel, one tank has a fresh paint job, dent on stub pylon, slats deployed and speedbreaks out:

mirage-2000.jpg

Jari

39 minutes ago, Finn said:

Missiles and Scalp:

mirage200_1469017874.jpg

Jari

Thanks, I’ve seen that photo, but I haven’t seen a French operational D in the grey/green scheme carrying MICAs under the intakes.  It fact, that picture is the only one I’ve seen.  Is that a prototype or demonstrator, because there aren’t any squadron codes on the nose?

Edited by Dave Williams

The pic looks to be the demonstrator since it has the name on the nose instead of codes. It is possible the D/N could carry air to air missiles on the stub pylons but the main role of the D/N is air to ground so aside from one or two Magic/Magic on the outboard pylons that is all what you would see on them.

Jari

On 3/23/2020 at 10:40 AM, Dave Williams said:

The FedEx tracking for my kits is showing some weird stuff since leaving China.  Assume that PH is Philippines and TW is Taiwan, which seems a strange route to go since most cargo flights are direct to the US.  As of yesterday, delivery was supposed to be tomorrow, but now  the delivery date is “pending”.

Monday , 3/23/2020

8:40 pm

TA YUAN DISTRICT TW

In transit

8:16 pm

TA YUAN DISTRICT TW

In transit

4:43 am

ANGELES CITY PH

In transit

2:14 am

GUANGZHOU CN

In transit

2:05 am

GUANGZHOU CN

Departed FedEx location

"Angeles City PH" is the old Clark Air Base now used as a civilian airport.

The D in its current version does not carry the Mica yet. It is planned for the life extension program that is under development (I suppose it will be only the IR version of the Mica if they "just" replace the Magic II).

For the moment they carry only Magic II on the outer wing pylons.

Under intake, right side: laser targeting pod.

It's the first time I see the configuration (3 Mk82 + targeting pod) shown by Finn in his last post.  But it makes sense, the N (originally developped for nuke) was turned in a conventional bomber carrying 4 mk82 so I guess a D with 4 Mk-82 is also possible (although I never seen it).

At the end of its operational life the N could carry 4 GBU12/49 (2 center line and one under each air intake).

le-mirage-2000n.jpg

The photo with the blue/grey 2000 with scalp and Mica is a demonstrator for a twin seater 2000-5 export version.

Here is a view of the potential new 2000D config being tested (new targeting pod under the right air intake. Also the pod below the LR air intake is a 30mm gun:

2000D_RMV.JPG

Edited by discus

Looking more closely at the kit, like with the previous 2000C, there are a few issues.  First, the IPs appear to be 2000B panels, not 2000D panels.  The instructions and decal instructions don’t differentiate between the D or N models.  Also, there are issues with a number of the decal options.  Two of the aircraft have special tail art, which in the kit is the same on both sides, but in reality was quite different on either side.  Also, I haven’t found any reference for the sharkmouth aircraft 188-XD c/n 630.  I haven’t seen the 188 code on a twin seater.

13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking more closely at the kit, like with the previous 2000C, there are a few issues.  First, the IPs appear to be 2000B panels, not 2000D panels.  The instructions and decal instructions don’t differentiate between the D or N models.  Also, there are issues with a number of the decal options.  Two of the aircraft have special tail art, which in the kit is the same on both sides, but in reality was quite different on either side.  Also, I haven’t found any reference for the sharkmouth aircraft 188-XD c/n 630.  I haven’t seen the 188 code on a twin seater.

I saw on a french forum that the IPs are indeed B but the rear one is wrong in shape (it should be different shape compared to the front)

Still no throttle either...

On the decals; the red doted line for the walkways are wrong: too thick (whereas they were not so wrong on the C kit).

hoppefully FFSMC is working a on decal sheet for the twinseaters.

Someone has a view of the weapons sprue ? Is it the same as the C ? (I hope not, it would mean no GBUs, no ASMP for the N...)

By the way, it seems Renaissance is working on a transkit for the single seater.

Got mine today.

As said before, the instructions are only for the D version.

Clear parts are market for B version (kit n. KH32020... so there will be a B kit).

Painting and decals instruction booklet is confused because the pages are not places in the right order!

The painting pages should be detached from the booklet and viewed one-by-one to have a complete and correct profile of each aircraft.

Decal are for both D and N versions. 

No LGBs are included at all.

We have big and standard fuel tanks, MICA A-A missiles, 3 type of Laser Designator pods, a couple of SCALP cruise missiles and 2 SNEB rocket pods (...). 

A pair of ventral double LGBs adapter are included but as I said before... no LGBs.

A resin exhaust nozzle is included.

There are many plastic parts for many versions... i.e. two noses for D and N, and 4 type of vertical tail fairings.

I need to give a more deep check to all the sprue and parts to match with books and walkaround pics.

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: Am I happy with this kit?... YES.

3 hours ago, Piero said:

P.S.: Am I happy with this kit?... YES.

We have no reason not to be happy, we finally got the single and twin seaters M2000 in LSP. and they both seem to be very nice kits overall.

But we can certainly be a bit frustrated by the usual carelessness and complacency of KH when it come to the accuracy of their kits.