1/32 Hasegawa P-47 "Oh Johnnie"

JefH

8 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Came to this late so had the pleasure of looking at it from start to finish. That’s really classy!

Question on the alclad wings; how long did you leave the first coat of airframe aluminium before masking for the different panels? My experience has been alclad is too fragile to mask without a clear coat but maybe I’d not let it cure enough; the masking tape picked up the lacquer on removal. 

Thanks

I let it dry for 48hrs because I was out of town for the weekend.   I've never used airframe aluminium before so I can't say for sure if it'd be safe after a shorter period.  I did de-tack the tamiya tape and montex mask on my forearm a lot before placing them on the alclad, to the point where I sort of worried about them sticking to the model.  Worrying about that shade lifting while masking was one of the most stressful parts of the build.

I worked with a guy 25 years ago that was older than me.  He saw some posters I had in my cube of WW2 fighters.

He said his father flew P-47s in the war and had remembered that the fighter's eight 0.50 caliber guns were "devastating".
He also said his father had permanent dead spots on his retinas due to constantly looking at the threat of German fighters diving out of the sun...

Greatest generation!