1/32 Hasegawa P-47 "Oh Johnnie"

JefH

Nice job on the jug Jeff and I think that decal correction looks fine unless you look reaaaaal close! Using masks instead of decals for the larger insignia is a game changer in this scale.

Great work all over Jeff!

That little correction with the umbrella looks good.

Im doing this model at the moment as well, and will be using masks for the first time too, hopefully it all goes alright.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.

Made a little more (slow) progress on the P-47.  Did a little oil dot filtering, which isn't really showing up in the photos to well and a panel line wash before hitting the model with some Alclad flat clear.  I think I will devote some attention to the smaller items while I let the clear set up for a couple days. Then I can hit it with some further weathering.    The windscreen and canopy are just being held on by gravity.  The gaps will disappear when they're fixed in place.

It kind of a tricky model to weather I've realized mixing a well used fuselage with replacement wings.  I'm running the risk of it looking like I forgot to weather the wings when I'm done.

Thanks again for looking. 

Jeff

49972480541_f253457c94_b.jpg

49972740317_51a33190bb_b.jpg

49972480291_0b69c8209d_b.jpg

49972480166_7a8fb31649_b.jpg

16 hours ago, Fvdm said:

Fantastic build Jef. I love it. The umbrella you are missing is on the wing of Goofy's plane. Maybe you can give it a try removing it? Nice correction by the way.

I can't believe I missed that. :doh:  I wonder if it was misprinted or if something shifted while it was settling in?  I think I'm going to have to live with it I think if I try pulling it up I'll write off the underlying decal.  

Back in the mid 90s our club built "Oh Johnny" as a tribute to the pilot who lives(d) in the Raleigh, NC area. He was thrilled and spoke to the club when we presented him with the model. Great guy.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/oh-johnnie/

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

Well she's finally  finally standing on her own legs.

Trying out my photo lightbox for the first time and it's a nice improvement over poster board, garage sale lamps and crossed fingers.

I need to track down some translucent blue paint to finish off the navigation lights.  My favourite hobby shop is inaccessible across the border so I'll have to see what I can find online. 

It still needs a little more work weathering wise (any suggestions or techniques are appreciated) but at least it's nearing the finish line. 

I'm also a little on the fence about whether or not I should add the bomb load to the wings. 

Thanks for looking - Jeff

50000408352_e91b9ef9cb_b.jpg

49999634028_c9efd5e327_b.jpg

49999633943_0b65b9835d_b.jpg

50000407967_afd5eaab37_b.jpg

49999633538_e150b1d92f_b.jpg

50000414102_1d760a2a37_b.jpg

50 minutes ago, CZPetrP said:

Very nice.
I didn't know Johnnie had natural metal wings. Informative. Thank you.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think it's a point of contention if the wings were painted or left bare.  An Osprey book I was reading theorized Johnnie left the factory with OD/NG wings but received replacements at some point shortly before it was shot down.  I could be wrong, but it looks like aluminium to me in this photo.

060918-F-1234S-001.JPG

510wgX2YS4L._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The author may have guessed wrong, but if nothing else it makes a heck of a book cover.

Jeff 

Came to this late so had the pleasure of looking at it from start to finish. That’s really classy!

Question on the alclad wings; how long did you leave the first coat of airframe aluminium before masking for the different panels? My experience has been alclad is too fragile to mask without a clear coat but maybe I’d not let it cure enough; the masking tape picked up the lacquer on removal.