Jump to content

Infinity Models de Havilland DH.100 Vampire - first test shots


Jan_G
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

 

I believe there's some differences between an Fb.5. and an Fb.3, but don't quote me on that.

 

 

Matt 

The most obvious recognition feature is that the F3 had rounded wingtips, the FB5's were squared off.  But there were other not-so-visible differences, not least that the Mk 3 was purely an interceptor, it did not have fighter-bomber capability: so whilst "FB5" (or more formally "FB Mk 5") is the correct designation for the 5, the Mk 3 is "F3", not "FB3".

Edited by MikeC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

The most obvious recognition feature is that the F3 had rounded wingtips, the FB5's were squared off.  But there were other not-so-visible differences, not least that the Mk 3 was purely an interceptor, it did not have fighter-bomber capability: so whilst "FB5" (or more formally "FB Mk 5") is the correct designation for the 5, the Mk 3 is "F3", not "FB3".

thanks for the info as I was wondering about the differences as I'm not that familiar with the vampire. I fancy building a Suez crisis plane with those loud yellow and black stripes - I think that was a mark 5 ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, npb748r said:

thanks for the info as I was wondering about the differences as I'm not that familiar with the vampire. I fancy building a Suez crisis plane with those loud yellow and black stripes - I think that was a mark 5 ??

You're welcome. As for Suez, I rather think they were Venoms, not Vampires. The Venom FB4 is easiest to spot as it has tip tanks and a bang seat  but the key visible difference from the Vampire was again the wings. The Vampire's were evenly tapered from root to tip; the Venom had a swept-back leading edge and a trailing edge more or less perpendicular to the centreline.

Edited by MikeC
Improve clarity - I hope!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it could be done.  But essentially the Venom was a completely new design that happened to look similar, rather than simply a development of the same design, n a similar way to the P-39 and P-63.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Venom

 

In any case, I have no doubt that as soon as some enterprising modeller cross-kits the two DH Twin-booms and completes it, someone - perhaps even Infinity - will bring out a nice shiny new Venom FB4 kit :evil_laugh:.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MikeC said:

You're welcome. As for Suez, I rather think they were Venoms, not Vampires. The Venom FB4 is easiest to spot as it has tip tanks and a bang seat  but the key visible difference from the Vampire was again the wings. The Vampire's were evenly tapered from root to tip; the Venom had a swept-back leading edge and a trailing edge more or less perpendicular to the centreline.

see, I know nothing - but they all look the same to me !!!  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

posted on Infinity FB page https://www.facebook.com/Infinity-Models-113222234718270/

We are happy to announce that on July 10 we will release our 2 most waited kits 1/32:

- INF 3203 DH.100 Vampire F.3

- INF 3204 DH.100 Vampire FB.5

You can already pre-order these kits by leaving your contacts here in DM or by our e-mail adress: info@infinitymodels.cz

 

283112010_121804820526678_75214548012597

 

283260218_121804810526679_11961735963519

 

281934036_121804827193344_11581526912160

 

282135243_121804833860010_35463901628297

 

283980696_121804823860011_11803124607359

 

283113646_121804830526677_15153057507534

 

283264033_121804817193345_49445091129249

 

282181839_121804813860012_86339624656983

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There doesn't seem to be a pic of the FB5 plastic.  The FB5 had squared-off wingtips rather than rounded.  [Edit:  Someone's just pointed out that there are parts which look like wingtips on the clear sprue, so it looks as if you have to cut the rounded wingtips off and use said clear parts for the 5.  Fair enough, and my apologies to Infinity.]

 

You may recall this

On 5/24/2022 at 11:41 AM, MikeC said:

although perhaps I'm biased as my air cadet squadron had a real FB5 in our back yard

 

Well this pic is the very one, VV217.

 

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh-100-vampire-fb5-vv217/

Edited by MikeC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

There doesn't seem to be a pic of the FB5 plastic.  The FB5 had squared-off wingtips rather than rounded.  [Edit:  Someone's just pointed out that there are parts which look like wingtips on the clear sprue, so it looks as if you have to cut the rounded wingtips off and use said clear parts for the 5.  Fair enough, and my apologies to Infinity.]

That was me pointing things out.

 

My headache is that I want a Mk.1. Is it a simple case of remodeling the tail or were there more differences compared to F.3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AndersN said:

My headache is that I want a Mk.1. Is it a simple case of remodeling the tail or were there more differences compared to F.3?

I think the tail was the main external difference, so you should be good to go.  I'll do a bit of digging, if I find anything to the contrary I'll come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...