Infinity Models de Havilland DH.100 Vampire - first test shots

Jan_G

18 hours ago, Iain said:

Nope - wood forward fuselage - metal everything else.

But the wings were pretty smooth...

Iain

Indeed so. There was a plywood fuselage pod de-laminating and rotting away in the open at Elvington way back in the early '90s.

I've often wondered if it got restored, although it seemed pretty far gone to me..

While on memory lane,  we'd often get Vampire squadrons dropping in to Waddington back when it was a base for white Vulcans, and they'd always parade in a long line along the perimeter track just across the road from our block of flats usually just as we were getting home from school. This would have been the early '60s, and of course every twin boom fighter was a Vampire, although in retrospect I'm fairly sure now they'd have actually been Venoms.

14 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I remember reading in "instruments of Darkness" that the first Vampire night fighters basically used Mosquito cockpit tubs bolted in the Vampire wings, Now here's an idea...! :wicked:

Mosquito cockpit  "tub"? Where is the tub in a Mosquito? 

On 3/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, Iain said:

Nope - wood forward fuselage - metal everything else.

But the wings were pretty smooth...

Iain

The nose was metal as well: from the panel line forward of the windscreen.  Looking at where they've got the rivets, I'd say they've identified the wooden area pretty well.  However, as you say, the wings were very smooth.  When I was a young Air Cadet in my teens, my squadron was fortunate to have a real live FB5 (VV217) sitting in the area behind our HQ, so I was well acquainted with the Vampire. 

To pre-empt any long discussions further down the line on the cockpit interior colour, it was black.  Undercarriage bays silver, as was the airframe: although she had been repainted at some time, so how accurately that reflected in-service reality I don't know.

Looking forward to an FB5, now would a Venom 4 as well be too much to ask for? :piliot:

Edited by MikeC

On 11 March 2020 at 3:28 PM, Scotsman said:

I remember reading in "instruments of Darkness" that the first Vampire night fighters basically used Mosquito cockpit tubs bolted in the Vampire wings, Now here's an idea...! :wicked:

I'm up for a Vampire twin seater or Venom and was wondering if the Matchpox kit could provide the basics. Infinity could well provide a conversion set themselves, in the HpH range if not the new plastic line. Cutting-up a £160 Tamiya Mossie is probably not the wisest method. Or maybe it's one for Paul Fisher to attack? 

BTW, Instruments of Darkness is probably one of the best aviation books ever written. I have a hardback edition and you would need to kill me to get it. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
word thingies

On 3/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, fastterry said:

Regarding the use of original Matchbox plastic, be careful as the stuff acts like it's been in liquid nitrogen and can literally explode (ask me how I know). Revell repops of Matchbox moulds are fine as the plastic is newer and softer.

TRF

My kits plastic is very brittle. I cracked one of the booms easily.  I will have to bin the thing after this new kit shows up. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...