Hasegwa Bf 109G-14/AS

LSP_K2

Haste got the better of me, I'm afraid, and I just couldn't wait to try out the Eduard spiral masks. Paint too thin, combined with the mask not being burnished down enough (apparently), left a few spots that now are in need of touching up. The Tamiya XF-27, after trying it on a test subject, dries to a very dark color, with just a hint of green. I'll see if I can repair this to my satisfaction. If not I'll just strip it and try again. The good news; the Eduard mask sets (cheap enough) each contain 9 different mask styles, and I mistakenly bought two sets, so I think I'm covered here.

ZGdc9b.jpg

11 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I just couldn't wait to try out the Eduard spiral masks.

I assume you paint the spinner white and them mask over it and then paint the dark color, right? If so I'll have to try that on my FW build.

26 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I assume you paint the spinner white and them mask over it and then paint the dark color, right? If so I'll have to try that on my FW build.

Yes, exactly. The spinner masks are not specifically marked as being for the '109, but all the spinner profiles show '109 spinners. I see no reason to assume they won't work on '190 spinners though, despite the obvious contour differences betwixt the two. Though to my eye a rather unusual arrangement, sometimes the spinner was white with black spirals, so you could just reverse the process.

HBsBJS.jpg

And spinner gets stripped, which is the very reason I used acrylics on this portion of the kit in the first place. In addition to the painting mishap, I was also not happy with the spiral itself, being only slightly more than a 180° wrap (I want almost 360°, at least), so I'll just repaint it.

oU4FY1.jpg

34 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

You can wash lacquer off with Mr. Color thinners too, but don't try it with generic lacquer thinner.

I blew through two coats of lacquer and primer, all the way to bare plastic, using a q tip moistened in Mr Color self levelling thinner.  I am not kidding, that stuff is hot and it was effortless.  

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Great work Kevin!  I've wiped and re-painted my share of spinner spirals.  Since it is such a visible focal point, it pays to make sure it looks just right!

Yea, the optical attraction to the spiral is undeniable, so a stripping I went. I'm hoping the second time's the charm, and I'll be spritzing the white coat tonight, I think.

Thanks to all the fellas for the paint stripping advice, I really appreciate that.

Oh boy, more hobby goodies. Again, not for this specific project, but will undoubtedly come in handy "down the line". The F-84 'pit is for a 1:72 Tamiya Thunderjet that I just bought a couple of weeks ago (I have a real "thing" for the straight-winged F-84s). Now that I've also acquired the Hobby Boss 1:32 F-84E (and at a truly righteous price), I'll soon be ordering HVARs, Bombs and decals for that, as well as an AMS 'pit set.

The Mr Hobby RLM 81 is neither brown nor violet, but I like the color and am sure it will eventually be of use elsewhere.

REp4Oz.jpg