RoG He 219 A0/R6

Greif8

I took a few shots of a build I did for someone who gave me the kit to build for him then failed to show to pick it up, or even answer attempts to contact him; hopefully he is ok.  If I end up having to keep this beast permanently I will have to figure out where to put it as it is too big for any of the glass cases I own.  The person who sent me the kit to build included the Barracuda cowls and wheels, some resin barrels to replace the kit ones, as well as some HGW seatbelts. 

I scratch built a FuG 212 antenna array and the hood on the radar used by the radio/radar.  I also put a large lump of lead in the nose piece to keep the aircraft from being a tail sitter.  I did not make any corrections as the guy did not want them - and I probably would not have done them had I built this for myself - as the Uhu looks just fine to me.  I also kept weathering to a minimum.  My grandfather's youngest brother served as a radio/radar operator on night fighters and one of the things he told me in our many conversations when he was alive was that night fighters did not undergo a great deal of wear and tear because they operated from established airbases for the most part and were very well maintained - especially the "owls" as there were usually only a few available and those were invariably flown by ace crews.  He also told me they flew far fewer missions than day fighters which also cut down on wear.  As an aside, talking with my great-uncle sparked enough interest in me that I did my master's thesis on the development of Germany's nighttime air defense and night fighter interception techniques. I wonder what he would have said about the model below! 

IMG_1605

IMG_1612

IMG_1610

IMG_1609

IMG_1608

IMG_1606

IMG_1613

IMG_1624

IMG_1631

IMG_1638

IMG_1637

IMG_1621

IMG_1618

IMG_1626

IMG_1625

5 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Nice build!

The radar antenna array turned out great.

Thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Beautiful job! The camo and finish look great.

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you guys!  The FuG 212 radar antenna turned out much better than I thought it would, though I built three versions prior to the one that is installed; so it was a bit of work to get it right.  If I could find a good resin AM one, like Gaspatch's FuG 202 Antenna array, I would buy a couple of sets.

Ernest 

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice cockpit work Ernest  :clap2:

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Ernest,

Great work!  Clean and sharp!  Great cockpit shots, too!

Gaz

Thank you for the nice words Mike and Gaz.