Grumann F9-F-5 Panther FINISHED

Dukie99

I will join this GB with the Fisher Panther. With the fatface Skyraider conversion, this is my only Fisher kit, so I will try to do it justice. I have given the entire kit a thorough cleaning of diluted bleach and will get started soon. Box shot, instruction manual and the reference material I will use.

i-R2kq5X5-L.jpg

i-v29bL3J-L.jpg

i-9hmSpQt-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

OK I have made a start. Dutifully following the instructions I started with the cockpit. The quality of the resin is really awesome and compared to HpH there is very little clean-up required. The IP is made of a photoetch face to be glued on the resin dash with a acetate sheet with the dial printed on it in between. There was just a little problem with that:

i-p7Tmzkb-L.jpg

The dials on the acetate sheet do not match the photoetch face

i-sLQjZJF-L.jpg

So I got rid of the acetate sheet and used airscale early jet decals and the ginter book as reference. Decals went on the resin dash:

i-hLb962C-L.jpg

Then I glued the photoetch face and added UV cured glue (Bondic) to simulate the glass, problem solved

i-FMp47S8-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Made some good progress. I finished the cockpit glued it inside the fuselage and then expoxied the wings. I also glued the wingtip tanks. The fit is very good for the wingtip tanks and at the wingroot, not so much at the back and in the front  nothing that a little sheet styrene and putty cannot correct. It is a fairly big model and so far this is a very enjoyable build.

i-HbdGbZk-L.jpg

i-k9K4Hsw-L.jpg

i-gpmQw7C-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Thank Iain. I have now a complete airframe. The moving surfaces are just dry fitted and there is still a few places where I need to putty and sand but were are close to applying some GSB. She is now under primer (alclad Grey microfiller, sanded smooth).

i-LQhBDkQ-L.jpg

i-bZmCT4P-L.jpg

It looks like I will be working from home for the next 6 weeks. As I will be saving two hours of commuting every day, I am hoping this will translate in more bench time. We shall see.

Everyone stay safe.

Cheers,

David

At last some colors. I decided to paint the main airframe GSB and then do the masking for the silver coroguard before glueing the pylons and the movable surfaces to make it easier. There is still a few blemishes I need to correct but so far so good, it is very enjoyable resin kit. More progress soon.

i-jNG4bWm-L.jpg

i-Vx3J58g-L.jpg

I have started with the ordnance, a full bomb load, 2 500lbs and 6 250lbs.

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers,

David

Thank you for the kind words. This is really a nice kit and not a difficult one (it is not HpH difficult). I just finished decaling the bird and the decals are very good quality, very thin with good solid color. I was concerned that the white would show the GSB underneath but it is not the case. This is the scheme as seen in the movie The Bridges at Toko Ri. If you google it you find on You Tube all the aircraft footage of the movie, which I found extremely helpful to place the decals (especially the dragon) as the instruction sheet was very very dark and it was hard to see where certain decals went. There is a full sheet of instructions on the placement of stencils but it seems that I have no stencils in my kit but it is not a biggie, I think looks good as is. I need to add a coat of future to protect the decals and then finish the cockpit and install the landing gears, the airbrakes and the ordnance. Getting there.

i-htQ9hpn-L.jpg

i-PzG6Zbq-L.jpg

i-J2gWVP4-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Thanks for posting this build. I've had this kit for years, with the intention of one day building Lt. Harry Brubaker's jet. That is one of my favorite movies, for a lot of reasons. (Every single time I watch I find myself hoping that Nestor, Mike, and Harry somehow pull through....they never do.)

Great job, and thanks again.

jp