p-38 drop tank shakles

Hello all.  I have been searching the interweb for details of P-38 drop tanks. In particular, the shakles without the tanks, after the tanks have been jettisoned. The tanks appear to be mounted on a pedestal, that I suppose remained on the wing. The details I am searching for would be the detail of the remaining pedestal.  Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Thanks for reply, Juggernaut.I believe you are correct. Would my thoughts that the pedestal would remain on the wing be correct? Found one picture of tank being installed on the pedestal, but no adequate detail seen of the pedestal itself.

It did have a shackle. In the photo provided by Bigg Tim, it is covered by a fairing. This was used when the shackles were not. Have a photo from a manual but can't seem to post it. Looks like they have changed things yet again. When the lower faring was removed, the shackle was exposed. The upper part of the pylon is, as mentioned, a permanent installation.

Edited by Karl H

Yes, but the shackle was exposed when the lower fairing was removed. And that was the question, can it be seen when the tanks have been dropped. Okay, got it to work. This show the pylon with the shackle exposed (lower fairing removed). So this is what it would look like after the bomb or drop tank had been dropped. It also shows the hoist supports for lifting a bomb into place, these obviously would not be exposed during operations.

Sorry it's so dark, I will see if I can find my manual rather than this online version.

ZeDNsBl.jpg

Edited by Karl H

Yes, the gun camera is only on the left pylon and that is only on later models. Earlier airplanes had the gun camera in the nose. I can't recall when it was changed, I am sure someone can come up with the exact details if needed.  EDIT: The camera was in the pylon starting with S/N 44-23559.

Edited by Karl H

Thanks Karl. Very nice, detailed view of what I am looking for.  Am backdating Trumpeter kit to p38g, Miss Virginia,  S/N 43-2264.  This S/N # would indicate likely nose mounted camera. Speaking of cameras, has anyone heard of film of the famous raid?  I assume there was NOT any film, as there was the controversy about the mission afterward.

1 hour ago, bobster said:

Thanks Karl. Very nice, detailed view of what I am looking for.  Am backdating Trumpeter kit to p38g, Miss Virginia,  S/N 43-2264.  This S/N # would indicate likely nose mounted camera. Speaking of cameras, has anyone heard of film of the famous raid?  I assume there was NOT any film, as there was the controversy about the mission afterward.

What famous raid?

"Miss Virginia" was on the mission that killed Yamamoto which has stirred up some controversy over the years. Unwarranted to my way of thinking. I presume that is what he is referring to.