A Separate Little War - Strike Wing Mosquito FB.VI

John1

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Actually , you are not wrong ...

e2cAz5W.jpg

Thanks Mike, that's what I thought.   Way back, someone posted the full bailout procedure from a flight manual.   It was close to 20 steps.   Again, illustrative of why so few crews were able to get out when hit.   In the case of the fighter versions of the Mosquito, it also undoubtedly had to do with the fact that most of the time, they were flying very low and very fast.   Minimal opportunities to get out, even under the best conditions.    The Mossie was also known as a horrible aircraft to ditch, often disintegrating as soon as it hit the water, hence the caution in the ditching procedure above "whenever possible, it should be abandoned by parachute". 

Brave men.

16 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Your workmanship and attention to detail is simply amazing!

Thanks for sharing what you are doing here....awesome!

Thanks so much Anthony, I'm just trying to get close to the level you put into your Mosquito (still patiently waiting for more updates but no pressure, lol) and your F-4.   I have to mention as well - I was on the fence about building this kit.  Primarily because the cockpit would be completely sealed and would restrict viewing.   The picture you posted of that removed escape hatch was the final nudge I needed to commit to this build.   

• 4 weeks later...

So I think I'm calling this one done.   I've added a few bits and tweaked the weathering.   Only modifications to any of the kit bits was to drill out the opening on the trailing wire antenna tube that protrudes under the fuselage near the bottom of the entrance door.  

Normally when I wrap up a build like this, I list all the extras I put into the kit, in case anyone wants to use my build as a guide.   For now, I just don't have the time to go back and recall everything I added or tweaked.   I'll circle back with y'all on that one.   So here are some last pictures.  I'll put up a formal RFI later.    I couldn't have done this project without all the help I got from so many people.   Between sending me dozens of pictures of the real thing or patiently answering my million questions or just simply posting here with some encouragement, I thank you all!

JhhjZHs.jpg

QsXcJZH.jpg

7NXBwhf.jpg

VGjnbaZ.jpg?1

tH1IM16.jpg

RdIE6sC.jpg

Vbr4J7F.jpg

yJPRycS.jpg

7wgngS0.jpg

rd1zxoY.jpg

VUnHGrL.jpg

1NLvGlF.jpg