A Separate Little War - Strike Wing Mosquito FB.VI

John1

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

bfc73c009d72b0d50fdb5ce216bde110

Home sweet Home.. Almost!

Great weather in Scotland, right?   For some reason I really find this picture poignant.   Notice the one person towards the center, standing by himself, at attention, rending a salute to the departing Mosquito.  

6 minutes ago, John1 said:

Great weather in Scotland, right?   For some reason I really find this picture poignant.   Notice the one person towards the center, standing by himself, at attention, rending a salute to the departing Mosquito.  

A true Scotsman.  Who care abooot a minor chill around the crown jewels, you silly Sassenachs....

Thanks for the compliments guys.   

So I've passed yet another hurdle.   I've added the painted-over 235 Squadron codes of LA-A.   These took quite a while and a mile or so of Tamiya tape (great stuff by the way, well worth the cost compared to any regular masking tape).   Just laying out the tape to make sure everything was aligned properly took a couple of hours.   I have an unused set of decals that contained VV-A upper fuselage codes for a Coastal Command Mosquito.   They were the same size as the LA-A codes and by cutting them out and using them to mark off the spacing and the "A" for a template, I was able to come up with pretty good results.  Not perfect but my story is that in wartime, they weren't concerned about one of the codes being off by an inch or two.    The one picture of my subject shows the painted-over codes in a lighter shade than the upper surface color, yet darker than the MSG undersurfaces and patch on the spine.   I added some white to Dark Sea Grey and called it a day.   

In retrospect, I should have titled this build "50 Shades of Grey".  I went into this worried that the SDS scheme would be too boring because of it's uniformity.  This is ending up to be one of the more complex paint jobs I've ever attempted.

IMG_1354

IMG_1352

That's it for today, as always, thanks for checking in.  

Edited by John1

John , that is beautiful work , I'm afraid I could never have the courage paint in multiple passes as your doing , brilliant!

Scots and cold, Hmm.. head over to YouTube and look for a channel called 1 bike 1 world, a Scot named Dean Nicholson is cycling round the world with a small cat , great videos and a lovely story , but to-days video has Dean on the top of an Alp, crunching over frozen snow in Crocs, shorts and a T-shirt , and commenting its "A bit Baltic"  which is  Scottish for Bloody Freezing - that's the Scots attitude to cold!

Sorry for hijacking the thread - back to the Stunning  Mossie!

On 10/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, John1 said:

As mentioned previously, these aircraft got pretty beaten up from the Scottish weather.   Here's a typical day in sunny Scotland:

bfc73c009d72b0d50fdb5ce216bde110

I'm getting cold just looking at this picture. 

What a great photo, thanks for posting it, and the model is coming along nicely.

So after looking at a fantastic Mosquito build over on Brit Modeler (if you are interested, check it out here, it's a great resource:  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235060272-148-tamiya-mosquito-fb-vi-hairless-joe/ ), I realized I missed some details on the bomb carriers.   Missing parts included the sway braces and front and rear fuse wires.    Spent last night adding these bits (and breaking off two of the bomb bay struts).   At this point, I think I really am done in the bomb bay.   Really wish I had caught this prior to gluing the bomb carriers in place, I could have done a much better job.

IMG_1356

IMG_1357

Actually, looking at this pictures, I think I need to fair in the struts where they connect to the carriers a bit.  Nothing a few blobs of superglue and some paint can't fix.   Anyway, that's it for tonight.  Thanks for looking! 

Just a quick update - Installed the flaps (still have to add the hinges on the underside).   As I understand it, these aircraft were camouflaged at the factory by laying rubber mats down and spraying the dark green over the base Medium Sea Grey.   As such, I have to believe that the area of the flaps that was hidden when they were retracted would only be left in the base MSG.  The few pictures I've seen of vintage Mossies that show this area seem to confirm this.  When they were over-painted with the dark grey color, I'm guessing that they didn't bother to drop the flaps so they could paint this area either.   Therefore, I masked this off prior to painting.   I think it adds a nice bit of distraction from the overall dark grey scheme. 

IMG_1359

I also added the cannon and bomb bay doors.   I like the look of this area quite a bit.  The cannon bay doors weren't designed to be opened in flight, so they are simple hinged doors without the hydraulic pistons used on the bomb bay doors.   As such, I adjusted them to be just a bit out of alignment with the bomb bay doors. 

IMG_1360

IMG_1362

That's it for tonight, thanks for looking! 

Not much time for modeling this week but I've made a bit of progress -

Added the flap hinges.  Like everything else on this kit, they have great detail and fit perfectly.  Flaps are now fixed in place.  Like the bomb bay doors, they are pretty delicate so I need to be very careful handling the model.  

IMG_1366

I also added the cowling parts for the port engine.   I'm only going to have the starboard engine on display (too lazy to super detail both Merlins) so these panels were glued in place.   Could have left them unglued, they snap in place perfectly,using a combination of tabs and magnets but I opted to glue them.  They were a bit difficult to get in place around the exhaust stacks but it all worked out.  

IMG_1363

IMG_1364

On the subject of exhaust stacks, note the bare aluminium area underneath the stacks.    These Mosquitoes were delivered from the factory with a shrouded exhaust to eliminate glare during night operations.   In many Mosquito units that were flying primarily daylight ops, these shrouds were eventually removed to reduce drag a bit.  When removed, it was noted that the area under the shroud was never painted.  Seems like they added these and then painted the airframe.   It's a neat little feature that adds a bit of color.  Tamiya thoughtfully provides silver decals for these patches but I opted to do it like the originals.   I sprayed the general area dull aluminum, tack glued the shrouds in place and then painted the camo colors.   Once done, I popped the shrouds off and viola!   

Here's a nice picture that illustrates what I'm referring to.  Also a good illustration on weathering and on how tough these aircraft were.   It should be noted that the Strike Wings flew a mix of Beaufighters and Mosquitoes.   The Beau pilots didn't think the Mosquitoes were as durable as their aircraft but in return, the Mossie pilots got an aircraft that was substantially faster.  Too each their own but regardless, both aircraft suffered heavy losses due to the nature of the missions they flew.

1082614_651386938206088_1020549423_o

That's it for now, thanks for checking in.