A Separate Little War - Strike Wing Mosquito FB.VI

John1

As my F-51D project winds down, I've started preparing for the next one.   I'm pretty much addicted to Tamiya's 32nd series and having completed their F4U-1D and Mustang, I decided to take a shot at their Mosquito FB.VI next.   Thanks to an awesome wife who got me this rather expensive kit for Christmas, I'll be starting this build in the few weeks.  I spent a great deal of time thinking about what subject to build.   There are many interesting and historically noteworthy subjects out there so it took me quite a while to selection one.  I was assisted in my decision when I read this book:

41FWTHQAA9L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Truly a fascinating and somewhat overlooked part of WW2.   These crews took heavy losses flying (very) low level anti-shipping missions over Norway. It kind of fits my general criteria for somewhat more off-beat subjects.    In addition, many of these Mosquitoes were repainted in the field in the Special Duties Scheme - A, which (on paper) is Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky lower surfaces.   

0007326e7810ac8d14ffb6f7d50fa39e.jpg

7956719722_4f3c6651a6_o.jpg

Mosquito_Fighter-bomber.jpg

16292746102_900154a6a2_b.jpg

Personally, I really like this option, it's a nice break from the run of the mill Green / Grey "Night fighter" Scheme that 90% of RAF Mosquitoes were finished in.   These aircraft got worked pretty hard so I'll also have some nice opportunities for weathering.  

So that's where things stand right now.   I'll be posting more info later and once I've got my F-51 100% will jump into this project full speed (which for me probably means I'll be finishing this build around Christmas).    As always, any comments, suggestions, etc are always welcome.

Edited by John1

On 3/4/2020 at 1:56 AM, nmayhew said:

Following with interest

which aircraft will you be doing?

It's going to be a Coastal  Command Mossie in the field applied Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky.   More than likely a 333 (Norwegian) Squadron aircraft.   333 Squadron often flew as "outriders" to scout and protect the main strike force.   As such they apparently didn't have rockets installed, which is good because no one offers the Coastal Command-specific RP setup.   Only items these aircraft had mounted were 100-gal slipper tanks. See the link below for my options.  Kind of leaning towards "F-3".

https://www.ultracast.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AOD32033

AOD48033.jpg?t=

s704314100658416967_p30_i6_w640.png

Another potential option is "VV-A", seen below on the decal sheet and further below after making an emergency landing in Sweden after being shot up on a mission.  It appears that VV-A also was not fitted with RP's, just the 100-gal slipper tanks.

X32058_2.jpg?t=

skanna0125.jpg

We'll see how it goes.   Also, please note that,  as with my F-51D project, I have no doubt that within a month or so of completing this build, Tamiya will be announcing a new Coastal Command Mosquito. 

Edited by John1

Well, you never know but Aviaology may finally release their long long promised rocket rail set but dint hold your breath. So pleased I got a refund on that order probably 2 years ago now but we will see!!

Regards. Andy 

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Well, you never know but Aviaology may finally release their long long promised rocket rail set but dint hold your breath. So pleased I got a refund on that order probably 2 years ago now but we will see!!

Regards. Andy 

I agree, I’d love to see their RP set come out.   They also had announced a nice looking Gee set around the same time but there has been no news since.   Supposedly Barracuda is releasing a resin Gee set at some point.   

John

I'll follow this one with interest , as I went down this path last year , KKP, 333 SQ VI Mossie ,  a highly enjoyable build .. The good think about 333Sq by in large didn't use rockets ,  a I couldn't stand  to drill the holes in the wings 

So...  after doing some more reading, I'm gravitating towards KK-Q (see below).  This Mossie was originally assigned to No. 235 squadron as LA-A.  When 235 started to convert to rocket equipped aircraft, LA-A was transferred over to 333 Squadron.   It's original fuselage codes were then over-painted but remained visible, as you can see in the profile below.   In addition, you can also see where the under-fuselage invasion stripes were also over-painted (it seems that Coastal Command retain these stripes longer than the rest of the RAF, where they served as an IFF means).   I'm a fan of slightly odd-ball schemes and also, all the over painted areas breaks up what would otherwise be a somewhat monotone paint job.  The only issue I have is that it's not 100% certain if the lower surfaces were repainted in Sky or left in the original Medium Sea Grey.    I need to do a bit of research on this.  This leads to another problem.  For a late-war aircraft, good quality pictures of Strike Wing Mossies are surprisingly few.   If anyone knows where I can find some good pictures (ideally of KK-Q but I'll settle for other Banff Mossies), please point me in the right direction. 

s704314100658416967_p179_i58_w899.png

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Also watching closely, I’ve always been interested in the Banff Wing. Slightly disappointed at the lack of RPs though, I was hoping that you’d show us how to make the double rail mounting.  :whistle:

I thought about it Biggles but am afraid it’s beyond my limited skills.   If Aveiology somehow gets around to releasing their RP set, my subject might change.    

I’m still partial to the rocket-less 333 Squadron.  The “outrider” mission is kind of cool.  It’s interesting that these Norwegians were flying missions over their home territory and often targeting Norwegian ships and installations.   During one mission briefing for a mass strike on a harbor, one of 333’s pilots took the stage and pointed out a particular house in the recon picture.   He asked if the assembled crews could avoid targeting it because it was his parent’s house!    

I built KK-q , and took an executive decision to paint the under surfaces  in Grey , rather than Sky , for no other reason that it  made a change from sky!

You're right about the lack of decent pics  Re the Banff aircraft , other than the colour pics you've found, even something as noteworthy as Max Aitken's own personal aircraft , coded MA  doesn't have a decent Pic 

You're right about 333Sq being an interesting unit , the courage of those crews flying out over the North Sea int he middle of winter actually looking for trouble, braver men that I could ever be

I'll try and find my Pics of my attempt of KK-Q, just to show you how not to do it!!! 

Some nice pictures here, but when based at RAF Leuchars, good for seeing how worn they got.

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?13611

Will follow your build with interest as i was planning on doing the same with my Mossie but an early FII (maybe no Gee fitted) or 3E or 3H.

Darren

15 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I built KK-q , and took an executive decision to paint the under surfaces  in Grey , rather than Sky , for no other reason that it  made a change from sky!

You're right about the lack of decent pics  Re the Banff aircraft , other than the colour pics you've found, even something as noteworthy as Max Aitken's own personal aircraft , coded MA  doesn't have a decent Pic 

You're right about 333Sq being an interesting unit , the courage of those crews flying out over the North Sea int he middle of winter actually looking for trouble, braver men that I could ever be

I'll try and find my Pics of my attempt of KK-Q, just to show you how not to do it!!! 

Great minds think alike!    Look forward to seeing some pics!