Opinions on Tamiya Flat

John1

Tamiya clear gloss was highly recommended by folks on this forum and since I tried it, I'll never go back to Future.  However, I've still been using Testor's Dullcoate.  It works ok but it smells horrible when spraying and requires lacquer thinner which is a bit of a pain to purchase. 

Wondering what the thoughts are on Tamiya's flat (XF-86 I believe)?   Haven't heard much talk about it.   Any feedback is appreciated. 

Nice timing. I sprayed Tamiya Flat earlier today and well, I’m not super impressed. Maybe I need multiple coats, but it’s definitely not as flat as Testors. I also forgot I even had Testors till I was in my cabinet, two bottles unopened!

While I love and use Tamiya acrylic X-22 Clear Gloss all the time, for flat applications, I use Tamiya TS-79 Semi-Gloss Clear and TS-80 Flat Clear which are synthetic lacquers decanted from a rattle can.  Tamiya's new lacquers in a bottle line might have an equivalent, but TS-80 is terrific and it won't craze enamel and lacquer paint underneath it, as long as they are good and dry.

Cheers,

Chuck