Idle Speculation - Additional Tamiya Mosquitoes?

John1

My next build is going to be the Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI.   I've had the kit since X-Mas (how cool is my wife to get this for me???) but just took a good look at the contents this weekend.   More on the awesomeness of this kit later.  One thing that struck me is the large number of unused parts. About half are related to the Merlin engines.  As I understand it those sprues are common between the Mossie, Mustang and Spitfire kits so I'm guessing it's normal to have some unused parts present.   However, the remainder have me thinking that at some point, maybe Tamiya has/had plans to release additional Mosquito variants?  My problem is that I'm a complete novice on this aircraft so I really can't tell which versions these parts go to.   Some of the more interesting parts are:

• C-27 (smooth lower tailcone (the kit uses the bulged lower tailcone that was supposed to house an IR flasher lamp)
  • J28/29 Spoked wheel hubs
  • K-27 - a rectangular cushion that looks suspiciously like it belongs in the nose of the bomber variants.
  • L-16 - the clear IR flasher lamp itself (not used on the kit variants, even though they have the enlarged tail housing for it). 
  • A multitude of PE parts many of which I can't tell what they are. However, included are a few large sections of instrument PE panel that aren't used.  Also unused is a PE section of bomb rack that is very similar (but not quite) to the aft bomb rack in the FB.VI (which had it's 20mm cannons mounted in the forward bomb bay instead of another bomb rack).  To me that indicates provisions for a bomber variant.

If anyone who knows more about Mosquitoes than I do wants pics of any of the unused parts, let me know and I'll take and post them when I get a chance. That being said, even to a novice like me, it's apparent that Tamiya has/had plans for other Mosquito variants besides the FB.VI.   I'd love to know if the specific variants can be tracked down from the unused parts.  

If you read a few of the posts from Tamiya concerning their feelings on the future of plastic models, you might come away feeling very doubtful about  them releasing much in the way of big scale plastic kits. The gist of one or two I read was that they feel the hobby is being supported more and more by an aging demographic that is shrinking, with fewer modelers spending the money, and that's not sustainable. They could have easily released 2 seater F-16's in 1/32 as well, the parts break down is set up for it, but whats it been now, 10 or more years since those kits were released?

1 hour ago, eoyguy said:

If you read a few of the posts from Tamiya concerning their feelings on the future of plastic models, you might come away feeling very doubtful about  them releasing much in the way of big scale plastic kits. The gist of one or two I read was that they feel the hobby is being supported more and more by an aging demographic that is shrinking, with fewer modelers spending the money, and that's not sustainable. They could have easily released 2 seater F-16's in 1/32 as well, the parts break down is set up for it, but whats it been now, 10 or more years since those kits were released?

I didn’t know T had spoken out on the subject.   Any links to these posts?  

It’s funny, an apparently dying hobby (literally) but we are seeing a flood of new kits and manufacturers.   The only sector that isn’t seeing rapid growth seems to be LSP’s.  

Most modern model kits are designed with multiple versions in mind. The principle is very simple: you have one set of common parts (this is the main mould) and a few smaller sets of type-specific parts (these are separate moulds). By mixing and matching it is possible to release a number of different kits. I have absolutely no doubt that Tamiya does that - you can see that in a lot of their kits. I have absolutely no doubt that other versions of the Mosquito were designed. 

Even if they have no more versions of the Mosquito, F-16, etc in their catalogue at this very moment it does not mean that it will not happen in the future. They may release other versions in the future whenever they feel like it.  Tamiya always did things in their own way. Comparing their release schedule/frequency to others is futile.

Kits that may be hard to find now (such as the Thunderbirds F-16) will certainly be reissued in the future. They often reissue old kits in new boxes - they have been reissuing old seventies (previously rare) Formula 1 kits for the last few years. 

All you need is patience. 

Radu 

15 hours ago, John1 said:

It’s funny, an apparently dying hobby (literally) but we are seeing a flood of new kits and manufacturers.   

But car modelers have the reverse of that same scenario. With very few exceptions, the same 60 year old model car kits keep getting re-released over and over and over again. Some aviation modelers tend to belly-ache over "why doesn't someone release this or that", but try to seek out a variety of good 30's roadsters, coupes, phaetons or sedans, and you'll find virtually nothing but 60 year old inaccurate, poorly detailed, ill fitting kits.

As to Tamiya, I certainly wouldn't count them out, but let's face it, their 1:32 output, compared to the overall market, has really been but a pittance, regardless.

As to the overall modeler demographic consisting of older generations, that too is true. The average shows that I now attend, are more frequently like a meeting of a geriatric society.