EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

6 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Max, well done :clap2:

Derek

Thanks Derek, almost every step of the way is a new little problem to ponder but it’s my kind of modelling! It makes me both smile and wince when the instructions say “fit attack radar and appropriate gun sight” but nowhere does it identify nor point out what either is or how it fits. The assumption is made that the modeller knows what he is doing and is familiar with Lightning aircraft! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!  Remember me!! :hmmm::)

Rplq0C.jpg

Hubert Boillot, late of this Forum, contacted me to say that a company called "Gomix/Fly" made a 1/33 scale paper Lightning and that maybe the canopy produced for that model (sold separately) might fit my Echelon Lightning.  It took a lot of research and quite a bit of hassle, not to mention expense, to get one but sadly it's very wrong!  Compare the Echelon shape (rear) with the Gomix/Fly one:

pdyDHn.jpg

sbozkb.jpg

The shape and proportions are not at all right......so that little episode is a write-off!  The yellowed Echelon one doesn't look too bad but it's very brittle:

ZijiH8.jpg

One option I'm considering is forming one from the Echelon vacuformed "internal" canopy shown above, worth a punt.  I know Iain's working on an improvement to the Trumpeter one but I also know he's a very busy bloke! 

32 minutes ago, Iain said:

I've not forgotten you Max - need you to wait a little longer I'm afraid.

But it *is* in hand.

Iain

Didn't for one instant think you had Iain, I can wait but I also want to extend my skills and experience so might well try a bit of vacuforming. :D

• 8 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 4:08 PM, mozart said:

Sadly yes it has, no answer to getting it back I’m afraid, though my saviour :bow: Iain is going to mould me one from a new master that he’s made for his Trumpeter correction set. 

When will these be available??

10 hours ago, Mr.T said:

When will these be available??

I can’t answer that question directly I’m afraid, but I DO have some new canopies produced for me by John ‘Tigger’ Wilkes. He’s a member here so if you need any it may be worth giving him a ‘call’. 

19 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Now this is looking promising Max! 

Regards. Andy 

I hope so Andy, I'm keen to get her finished, but I think it will be easier with the canopy closed than open, but we'll see!  I have four canopies for my two Echelon Lightnings so I've got a little leeway to experiment. 

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

How did the canopy work out?  

Didn’t use it I’m afraid Rick because Ali produced some very good resin ones. But I’m afraid, despite that, it remains “canopy-less”…..needs finishing!