EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

Looking good Max.  

Can you salvage the front canopy section on the clear Echelon Lightning canopy and make a plug of the larger aft half?  The Trumpeter canopy looks totally unusable.  You'll find away in getting this one figured out.   

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

Will the misshapen Trumpeter canopy be so obvious if you put it in the open position?

That’s been my thought, and perhaps salvation all along Jens. Yes it does still look slightly overblown against the Echelon fuselage, but funnily enough not too bad in photographs that I’ve seen of complete Trumpeter builds, perhaps the Echelon fuselage is slimmer? Worth a try anyway in the short term.  

Edited by mozart

11 hours ago, Renegade said:

Did this aircraft ever fly with the overwing JL-100 rocket pods? My knowledge on Lightnings is rather poor, and can remember that they could carry them.

As far as I know, the overwing rocket pods were never an RAF fit, just the ferry tanks; but I stand to be corrected.

Max-

You might be able to easily make a buck for vacuforming from one of the Echelon originals by applying a release agent to the inside, such as a thin film of petroleum jelly, and fill the canopy up with some thick fine Plaster of Paris. Pack it in there tight and sculpt the bottom out smooth. Once cured, you should be able to separate the buck, clean it up, and have some copies made......

Great build, can’t wait to see it finished. Always wanted to build one of these kits. I am sure some industrious LSP’er would be able to help you out vacuforming some replacements!

THOR    :ph34r: 

Thanks for the thought Thor, Iain O of this site is on the case right now with canopy casting etc. but there are also one or two other irons in the fire which I'm investigating too.  I do need to learn vac forming and canopy casting though for a future project that I have in mind! 

Thanks Guy, the canopy issue will be sorted one way or another, no worries!! :D  Next on the bench will be the Silver Wings Tiger Moth in the Training GB which will be kind of 56 squadron-ish because 28 EFTS's chief mech. was ex-56 squadron so chequerboard bands were painted on all of theirs, but a Bulldog or Gauntlet would serve the comparison better really.

Managed to get some bench time today with the Lightning, and a small but significant matter!  The tail hook was missing from the first Lightning kit, so with my second one I was able to cast a replacement. This wasn't "proper, skilled resin" casting but a two part Apoxy-sculpt material firmly pressed into a mould of "Blue stuff", then cleaned up with a sharp blade and needle files when fully cured.  In some ways, may I dare to suggest, it's more accurate than the Echelon white metal one, after Mark @Subodai sent me detailed pictures:

Pbqkeb.jpg

Most of the hook won't be visible but it was good fun doing it all. :)

Edited by mozart

Thank you Maru, so glad you’re enjoying the Lightning and the memories that it’s evoking. As I’ve said previously it’s a brilliant kit, not perfect it’s true and demands a lot of attention and research, but huge fun nonetheless. The Echelon Hunter? Well, it looks like there’s going to be an “Air Superiority GB” next year, ie fighters! Watch this space. Golf’s going very well too, playing quite consistently well at the moment......but that can change......that’s the nature of the beast! :unsure: