EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

3 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Have you thought about using Mr Surfacer 1500 Black surface primer at all Max, it lays down beautifully straight from the rattle can.

Regards. Andy 

No I haven't Andy, but if you recommend it then it's worth a try.  Will this cut out the need for a gloss black coat or not?

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

No I haven't Andy, but if you recommend it then it's worth a try.  Will this cut out the need for a gloss black coat or not?

My understanding of Mr Surfacer is it dries matt/silk so for NMF you'd need some kind of gloss over top of it. Possibly even a 2000 grit polished, compounded and shined gloss black for best NMF results.

Saw something recently where a chap did a black gloss coat, but then did a levelling thinner flood coat to "reactivate" the black paint and make it smooth...

Edited by Subodai

Well I've just had a look for availability and it seems to be sold out on most sites.  One site had some at £10+ for a tin but then wanted £8+ for postage, too rich for me I'm afraid!  

17 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

It dries semi gloss Max so you would still  need a gloss black as well but it does give you an excellent base to work with.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy.  I use the MRP black primer which works pretty well so I'll probably stick with that for the moment. I'm going to test the whole process on the 1/48th Lightning first to get a feel for it all, including how the NMF reacts to masking tape etc.  

OK, a little further research and it seems the prices quoted were pretty general.......so I've ordered a tin Andy!!  It says that there is no need for a further black "top coat" for metallics but a little experiment will soon prove whether this is true or not, watch this space! :whistle: (I have a cunning plan.....:ph34r:)

Edited by mozart

I don’t quite understand this current trend of using black undercoat for NMF. I tried black but cannot see any difference with the regular grey 1200 Surfacer.

The only thing is that if you want a polished metal effect, your undercoat must be equally polished regardless of the colour. Of course YMMV ;)

Looking forward to seeing the result of your experiment.

Cheers,

Quang

Hi Quang. 

Some metal colors are actually slightly transparent and in that case using a gloss black layer improves the light reflection of the metal layer. 

I once saw a P-51 for which the modeller had used gloss black for the fuselage and a fine grey surfacer for the wings before spraying alclad. I was surprised by the intensity of the difference between both painted areas. 

Thierry 

11 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Quang. 

Some metal colors are actually slightly transparent and in that case using a gloss black layer improves the light reflection of the metal layer. 

I once saw a P-51 for which the modeller had used gloss black for the fuselage and a fine grey surfacer for the wings before spraying alclad. I was surprised by the intensity of the difference between both painted areas. 

Thierry 

Thanks for that explanation Thierry. Your tale about the P-51 isn't too far removed from my cunning plan!! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Andy.  I use the MRP black primer which works pretty well so I'll probably stick with that for the moment. I'm going to test the whole process on the 1/48th Lightning first to get a feel for it all, including how the NMF reacts to masking tape etc.  

OK, a little further research and it seems the prices quoted were pretty general.......so I've ordered a tin Andy!!  It says that there is no need for a further black "top coat" for metallics but a little experiment will soon prove whether this is true or not, watch this space! :whistle: (I have a cunning plan.....:ph34r:)

I used Mr Surfacer Black as the base coat on my Honda RC213V followed by various Vallejo Mettalics and turned out very nicely with a really good depth to the colours.

20200610-160538.jpg

20200612-151841.jpg

Regards. Andy