EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

I've been trying to get my head around what happens at the aft underside end with the arrestor hook (deck landing anybody?? :shrug:).  My dilemma hasn't been helped by the fact that I don't appear to have the hook itself, it's gone AWOL at some point.  This is John Wolstenholme's take on it:

ONz1d0.jpg

which helped a lot in my understanding.  So I'll need to carve a hook out of resin and I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered the Flightpath set, most of which won't be used but the arrestor arm will along with the ladder.  So I cut out the space for the hook stowage:

jtOjpW.jpg

and fettled the housing, most definitely the least satisfactory fitting part of the whole kit. More botching work due.....:blink:

TlwfW7.jpg

u6K500.jpg

"That would be somewhat ironical don't you think given the 1/32 Hunter kit history!  And damned cheeky to boot".

Perhaps, but I think all Frank ever wanted was some some design acknowledgement and perhaps a modest financial consideration too.

Both of which would be worth Revell's time and money.

When I was last seriously working on mine, every time I checked a detail that seemed doubtful it turned out Frank had got it right.

The last occasion being the slight upward sweep of the missile duct fairing at the nose end.

'That doesn't seem right', thought I. 'Straight would be more logical'.

So I find a photo from the correct angle, only to find it sure was right. The kit is full of similar moments.

Edited by Chek
knackered quote

36 minutes ago, Chek said:

When I was last seriously working on mine, every time I checked a detail that seemed doubtful it turned out Frank had got it right.

The last occasion being the slight upward sweep of the missile duct fairing at the nose end.

'That doesn't seem right', thought I. 'Straight would be more logical'.

So I find a photo from the correct angle, only to find it sure was right. The kit is full of similar moments.

In my case Chek, ignorance is bliss, I’m just building it without any knowledge and no hang ups, as close to an OOB build as I’ve got for a long time and it’s very liberating!! 

4 hours ago, mozart said:

I've been trying to get my head around what happens at the aft underside end with the arrestor hook (deck landing anybody?? :shrug:).  My dilemma hasn't been helped by the fact that I don't appear to have the hook itself, it's gone AWOL at some point.  This is John Wolstenholme's take on it:

ONz1d0.jpg

which helped a lot in my understanding.  So I'll need to carve a hook out of resin and I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered the Flightpath set, most of which won't be used but the arrestor arm will along with the ladder.  So I cut out the space for the hook stowage:

jtOjpW.jpg

and fettled the housing, most definitely the least satisfactory fitting part of the whole kit. More botching work due.....:blink:

TlwfW7.jpg

u6K500.jpg

I actually have one of those tailhooks if you'd like some more photos?

8 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very interesting work Max! Your Lightning is coming along well.

Your comment  on the deck landing made me imagine a RN version with folding wings. Something to do in 1/72 for fun!

Alain

Thanks Alain! Since it’s said a set of tyres were only good for seven landings, I think putting a Lightning down on a carrier would be “interesting”. 

7 hours ago, Subodai said:
I actually have one of those tailhooks if you'd like some more photos?

Yes please, a side profile and top and bottom view if possible?

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Alain! Since it’s said a set of tyres were only good for seven landings, I think putting a Lightning down on a carrier would be “interesting”. 

Yes please, a side profile and top and bottom view if possible?

I've taken what I can with what I have (popped an image below for proof) I've PM'd you a shared link to an album for the rest as they're fairly large and I don't fancy uploading them to an image service. If this is something anyone else is interested please let me know and I'll get a copy of them over to you.
i0K77xK.jpg

The 'knuckle' on mine is seized so I can't get a shot of it flat, and it's quite heavy for what it is, we cut off the spring-steel arm years ago but it's a wicked door-stop ;) 

Edited by Subodai

Edging ever closer towards the end of the build phase with the first fits of the lead foil scoops, I'm really quite pleased with how they have turned out:

45vgZQ.jpg

RkdzcC.jpg

A couple of small ones to do and some odd shaped bits and pieces to carve then I'm almost done, undercarriage doors excepted but they seem quite straightforward. (Fingers crossed).

Nice! I leave for a week in the wilderness with the wifey for our anniversary and come back to a finished air frame. Great stuff man. Cant wait to see this thing in something else besides the white (no offence intended if you like the white :lol: ).

6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! I leave for a week in the wilderness with the wifey for our anniversary and come back to a finished air frame. Great stuff man. Cant wait to see this thing in something else besides the white (no offence intended if you like the white :lol: ).

Wondered where you'd been Brian, your absence has been noted!! :rolleyes:  I'm so looking forward to getting a coat of BLACK primer on her, then starting the silver top coat!  No racism intended.......:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Fanes said:

The scoops look brilliant Max - great worksmanship!

Thanks Joachim.  I pondered long and hard about the best way of making the scoops, lead foil is such a lovely medium to work in being so malleable but that is also its Achilles heel of course.....until dear ole Quang comes along with his UV solution!  So I just squirt a little UV glue into the formed scoop and voila.......a sturdy scoop!