EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

The wings are on, all looks pretty good......I can't swear that the anhedral is exactly 5 deg. but there is anhedral and it looks right-ish so that's OK.  I ran a bead of Milliput along the wing/fuselage gap, though I've seen worse on IM kits, so well done Echelon!

ZYSHGK.jpg

I think, after the tail plane is fitted, a coat of primer might be in order before I start addressing all the other lumps n' bumps!

Edited by mozart

10 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

That's a proper aeroplane for you.

It certainly has a "presence" when I pick it up Andy, feels very solid and business-like!! :D  I love it, it's the most satisfying kit I've ever made.

Edited by mozart

27 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

Lovely work - you are acting as a trail blazer. I might actually have a go at one later this year following your endeavours 

Do have a go, it’s obviously quite a demanding project in so many different ways, but such good fun and very rewarding. I’d be seriously tempted to do another if I saw one for sale! :)

Looking very nice. The only vac kit I've ever attempted was a long time ago in a galaxy far away (~40 years) :rolleyes: and I ended up with a rotational twist in the fuselage. It was an Archer 1/72 KC-135 ( I think that's who the kit manufacturer was.) Needless to say, I didn't complete it and I've not attempted another one since.

41 minutes ago, j ferguson said:

Max, I must say that your exquisite project has deeply impressed some of us here in the colonies with the qualities of this very impressive aircraft.

Is one yet airworthy?

One isn’t, in fact one is really quite “porky” and would fly like a brick but.......one now has one’s tail planes fully fitted!  Hoping tomorrow to get on with the remaining scoops and covers ready for a start with painting, I’ve been doing the undercarriage today which in white metal is first class. Pics tomorrow. So glad the colonials are amused, we can’t have insurrection y’know! :huh:  God save the Queen! 

Edited by mozart

34 minutes ago, mozart said:

One isn’t, in fact one is really quite “porky” and would fly like a brick but.......one now has one’s tail planes fully fitted!  Hoping tomorrow to get on with the remaining scoops and covers ready for a start with painting, I’ve been doing the undercarriage today which in white metal is first class. Pics tomorrow. So glad the colonials are amused, we can’t have insurrection y’know! :huh:  God save the Queen! 

Remember 1694

Thanks Tony.....I took a big sigh of relief when this stage was reached:

QduAYf.jpg

AlxeNf.jpg

Hu0cDa.jpg

3ayryC.jpg

Obviously still a massive amount to do but I feel as if I've reached a major milestone.  I wouldn't normally add the undercarriage to a model till much later in the build stage but something is telling me now is the right time for the Lightning.  I hope experience+intuition is right!! :shrug:

Edited by mozart