EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

Thanks Joachim, it's surprising how things can suddenly seem to come together on occasions (after lots of detail work AND procrastination!).

I'm looking at the aft end right now, so firstly putting in a couple of formers:

sA5Ik0.jpg

GndY4D.jpg

then tidying up the fuselage to get a good fit with the exhausts, a little more sanding/thinning required yet!

UNsBKO.jpg

gG83bo.jpg

I was hoping to put the whole of the exhaust system in much later in the build after the fuselage had been closed up and maybe even painted but this trial has proved that's not going to be possible. :doh:

Edited by mozart

The Aires pipes are much narrower than the holes cut in the framework so there's a danger of them waggling around rather a lot:

Ej3hpN.jpg

so I used the outer tubes supplied with the Echelon kit, though I'm pretty sure this isn't how Frank Brown envisaged them being fitted!

CcVXAN.jpg

But it works well enough:

1uTHmb.jpg

20 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Some seriously nice work going on with this one Max, not really been on LSP much lately as lost the interst to build for a while.

Superb stuff and keep it up as coming together nicely.

Regards. Andy 

Cheers Andy, thought I hadn’t seen you around! Take a break, no problems, you’ll be back building to your high standards again when the “urge’ strikes you. I’m hoping to get some more time on the fuselage later today, been fussing about (read procrastinating) long enough. I know once this tricky front end is done progress will be quite rapid, I neeed to move on! 

Edited by mozart

I know we've been here before but getting this stage assembled accurately is key to the final over all look of the model.  I've finally worked out the best way of fitting the fuselage sides/cockpit tub/intake trunking/radar bullet cone/intake ring/nose wheel bay so that all is aligned and mating securely.  I'll be fixing this in place tonight with epoxy and leaving for a while to set, ready for fuselage close up Thursday with luck.

A final check to see all's well.  

N9HpbT.jpg

The tip of the shock cone is a mm too high I think but I have to remind myself that I'm using an Aires casting which was designed for the Trumpeter Lightning so a tiny compromise is necessary!

Edited by mozart