EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

I've been giving a lot of thought about how best to do the NACA ducts, their triangular shape and sloping face makes it quite tricky to model easily.  But I've just had a little (hopefully) Eureka! moment :unsure:  I'm going to try carving a "master" from resin or plastic then try wrapping lead foil or similar over it to make the duct, a bit like I plan to do with the external scoops.  Off for a walk now, but will have a go when I get back!

I mostly go for some cleaning jobs, in and around the house, to let the Eureka's pop. 

A big house comes in very handy sometimes.

Like your build Max, no discussion but it's definitely not my kind of plane. Thats a personal, can't help that. Your talents are just very insprirational to watch and bookmark.

Good stuff.

Regards,

Robert Jan

57 minutes ago, Dutch Man said:

Like your build Max, no discussion but it's definitely not my kind of plane. Thats a personal, can't help that. Your talents are just very insprirational to watch and bookmark.

Good stuff.

Regards,

Robert Jan

Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same planes Robert Jan?  That is part of the reason why I started the thread in "General Discussion" about "why we build what we build", and there has been some fascinating answers! :D

10 minutes carving of a resin block, one or two refinements made after a trial fitting, then:

iJJU6c.jpg

I thinned the plastic wall as much as possible to get a shallower fit,  secured with a drop of CA:

MchtE5.jpg

.....and the result is at least as good as any I could have achieved by any other method + a lot quicker:

Oi93rl.jpg

Happy with that!! B)

Edited by mozart

25 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! That is a really neat way of getting thos knocked out Max. Seems as good or better than any I've seen.

Thanks Brian, I've done all 4 in ten minutes.....and of course the latter 3 were better than the first one! :shrug:

27 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Extremely cunning work Max. Please don't shoot the messenger, but Quickboost produce a seat with belts, it's a pity Aires don't include both seats in the set, or two sets with either seat.

Yes I spotted that too late Andy, damn nuisance! 

10 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Clever!  It might be worth reinforcing the thin foil with epoxy glue to avoid damage later.

Yep, thanks Jens, had that in mind once the CA is firmly set. :D

Thanks John. To my mind the Lightning is the only post-war aeroplane that equates to the Spitfire in its iconic status, I would like to build several of these “kits”, but I consider myself lucky (and privileged) to be able to work on this one.  I love a build that makes you think,  :) and this one certainly does. :hmmm:

Hah Max! Excellent idea using tin foil to make intakes. :clap2:

You remind me of my old friend Aidan who used to be an expert on modelling NACA intakes in 1/72 using only plasticard. The intricated parts were so tiny that he carried his entire collection in a matchbox. Aah, memories!

Nice work throughout Max.

As an alternative to lead foil (and without the oxidation risk), there is always copper sheet.  I picked up some from 4D Modelshop in London while nearby for a conference recently although not had the chance to use it yet.  Much more malleable than brass though.