EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

Max , that is a beautiful build , really massively impressive  ,

Meanwhile on the subject of canopies,  I'm sure iain will come through , But I do have a spare single seater canopy sitting doing nothing , I know wrong shape ets , but is you want it , its yours, (I have a T5 planned and so It's going spare.. 

Good luck with th rest of the build!

ColinR

34 minutes ago, TaffyMan said:

Ohhh there she is Max. Just need to slap some paint on and she’s done :wicked:

Like the wing lets hope my re-scribe goes as well as yours has!

Cheers - Taff

Ha ha, just paint......as if Taff! I started the also rather tedious job yesterday of cutting out the vents, scoops, rabbit holes and God knows what else that litter the fuselage sides! Chain-drilling then needle file to the line, bit of a strain on the eyes! :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

Max , that is a beautiful build , really massively impressive  ,

Meanwhile on the subject of canopies,  I'm sure iain will come through , But I do have a spare single seater canopy sitting doing nothing , I know wrong shape ets , but is you want it , its yours, (I have a T5 planned and so It's going spare.. 

Good luck with th rest of the build!

ColinR

Thank you Colin! I’ve no doubt whatsoever that once all this nonsense is over Iain will come up Trumps (:coolio:) with a new canopy so I’m not panicking, but I’d like to take you up on your offer of your spare canopy, presumably a Trumpeter one? I’ll PM* you my address details, many thanks. Love the job you’re doing on the Bucc by the way, what a massive undertaking that is! 

* Seems I’m not able to PM you Colin, what’s the best way of contact? 

Edited by mozart

Superb work Max, thank you for sharing your progress.

This is an aircraft which is very close to my heart (having served working on them, and still do today via the EE Lightning LPG), so it is a delight for me to see you working this most excellent Frank Brown kit - keep up the good work.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thank you Derek, I really must get up to Bruntingthorpe when all this brouhaha is done with, it was on my “to do” list this Spring along with Tangmere but of course that’s down the swanny for a while! Vicarious pleasures with this lovely kit and suitable jet-ty noises! :D

Today's task, cut out the holes on the starboard fuselage half:

wSHYHb.jpg

I've been cross-checking my references and I think I've done all the orificies, 14 in all:

OrV603.jpg

Some of course will be covered by scoops etc and others will have a "back membrane" added, glad this part is over, now back to scribing!

Oh, but these arrived this morning:

5BEJYx.jpg

I'm not, as I've said before on another build, a great fan of PJ Productions, and I don't know if I'll be using either of these.  I quite fancy either a pilot in the cockpit or one climbing the ladder, though a little work to make it a more RAF-like pilot is needed.  

You simply don't stop to impress me with your work Max. As for the pilot, my preference would be one climbing in or out of the aircraft - 

this would add some life to the model allowing to show the complete cockpit and not hiding most of it. You'll make the right choice.

Lothar

2 minutes ago, Lothar said:

As for the pilot, my preference would be one climbing in or out of the aircraft - this would add some life to the model allowing to show the complete cockpit and not hiding most of it. You'll make the right choice.

Lothar

I'm with you 100% there Lothar, but unfortunately the climbing pilot is the less impressive of the two figures, but I think with a bit of surgery and a lick of paint it'll be that one!

Nice and holly Mike :innocent: - feel the re-scribe pain.

Like the pilot idea - perhaps one foot on the bottom rung. give a nice sense of scale but not hiding too much detail.

I’m going to do 15 mins on the Harrier wings after a long day working!!!!

Cheers - Taff

1 hour ago, mozart said:

I'm with you 100% there Lothar, but unfortunately the climbing pilot is the less impressive of the two figures, but I think with a bit of surgery and a lick of paint it'll be that one!

Always like watching a master at work! Reedoak have some 1/32 pilot figures as well...just a thought

keep up the great work, loving it!

Edited by chrish
Spelling error

18 minutes ago, chrish said:

Always like watching a master at work! Redoak have some 1/32 pilot figures as well...just a thought

keep up the great work, loving it!

Not so sure about that Chris, I’m a definite novice with jets and to a certain extent with vacform, so I’m feeling my way very tentatively and consulting both Ted Taylor’s and John Wolstenholm’s builds as I go. I found having the fuselage taped together as a fairly rigid structure really helped with opening up the holes and I think the same may apply to re-scribing.

Sadly Reedoak don’t do any pilot figures of the right country nor the right era so I don’t have too many other options. :unsure:

I "think" I've finished the colander:

gNl51R.jpg

3Z9C9G.jpg

Could be more, and there are a couple there that the first owner cut out on the port side (the two rectangular ones above the wing) which I think shouldn't have been, but that'll do for the moment.

Edited by mozart