EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

Small steps, the first wheel well is finished (good enough for something that will rarely if ever be seen!):

T42fGD.jpg

9DL6dc.jpg

The other area I've been thinking about is the plethora of scoops and fairings on the fuselage, especially the starboard side.  So yesterday I "sculpted" a couple of formers from Apoxysculpt, then today attempted the scoops using lead sheet.  Quite promising first attempts, may also try in thin brass sheet since that's more resilient:

nTwiqc.jpg

jl29mJ.jpg

UjfhpT.jpg

Edited by mozart

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

Really like the idea of doing the scoops. May try this myself when I do my Thud.

I’ve now tried 3 ways of doing the scoops: sheet lead, thin brass (annealed), thin plasticard “plunge moulded”. The lead sheet is the easiest to work, has a good scale thickness and gives a good finish. The only drawback is that it’s not very rigid so once fitted the kit would have to be handled carefully.

I didn’t get on with the brass at all well, tried two different thickness and annealed both but neither took the form of the master as well as lead sheet.

The plunge moulded plasticard has potential but I need to refine my technique. More experiments tomorrow!

I've done scoops by cutting the ends off of bombs from spares. You can shape and thin easily, add any flange with really thin stock. Curious about the yellowed canopy, wonder if you could leave it in sunlight like a yellowed decal sheet, probably not....

Don

6 hours ago, quang said:

Superb, Max! :clap2:

The lead sheet scoop looks very realistic. You can make it more rigid by lining the inside with UV-curing glue. Safe, quick and clean.

Good work,

Quang

Thanks Quang old chap, that’s the perfect answer! What are you working on right now? 

34 minutes ago, mozart said:

Thanks Quang old chap, that’s the perfect answer! What are you working on right now? 

I originally didn’t plan any new build as I was about to move. Then the lockdown  law fell :o. A good part of my modelling stuff is already at my new home. Happily I was stuck with the better half: basic tools and... the new IBG kit.
As we don’t know when the lockdown ends, I decided to give the PZL a go albeit in a rudimentary, old-school kind of way. Can be a good, refreshing thing as we modellers have been spoiled of late. Like Paul Simon sang: ‘we can’t be forever blessed’ :rolleyes:

Stay safe everybody,

Cheers,

Quang

Quang, the UV glue inside the lead foil scoop works a treat! Many thanks mon ami! :)

I’ve only done a little today, and no pictures yet, but it’s an area that’s had me scratching my head for some while, namely the leading edge slot. The instructions, sans drawings, are really puzzling (at least to me!). Ted Taylor tackles it a different way, and John Wolstenholm a third way.......confused, I was.  I contacted a chap who has made several Echelon Lightnings and he explained it very simply. The Reveal tomorrow!  This needs to be addressed before the upper and lower wing halves are joined.  

Edited by mozart

I found a wonderful selection of photographs of RAF Cold War jets a couple of months ago, here's some Lightning ones:

6FLN5V.jpg

mv2kXZ.jpg

Since we don't have a Reference section in our GB set up, I'll put the others in the Rules of the Road section for you to enjoy. :)