HPH FW 189 Eagle Owl.

Phartycr0c

OK i'm progressing very slowly.... no one wants to see sanding I will pop some photos up shortly as sanding is all but over (i think) and I can get on with stuff. 

In the meantime I was researching the position of the elevators of the 189 while at rest when I stumbled across this image which is a squadron mate of the aircraft I am doing so theoretically I can use a little "licence" and put my aircraft into these markings...

I know i'm a good way off paint at present but I do find this image really interesting. 

The aircraft is V7 +1K over Finland in 1943, my markings depict V7+1H so feasibly the markings would be appropriate. 

My question to garner opinion is what colours do we think are actually on the aircraft. 

You should all notice that the scheme is not the usual hard edged black green / green RLM 70 / 71 camo, but rather a soft edged affair. 

I am making the assumption that the dark colour is indeed RLM 70 but it also appears that the white squiggle markings appear to be overpainted on possibly a slightly lighter colour question is what? 

fw189-WRG-0017646

Anyone any opinions?  This is the only image I can find of this scheme, I cant even find any profile images 

I'm seriously drawn towards this scheme so any help would be appreciated....  

Actually, I remember an article on this bird, and Inseem to recall they had found another photo of it on the ground, and it was in the factory scheme of 70/71 over 65, with the squiggles done in white for winter. Tough scheme, would be awesome if you pull it off!

THOR    :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

In the meantime I was researching the position of the elevators of the 189 while at rest when I stumbled across this image which is a squadron mate of the aircraft I am doing so theoretically I can use a little "licence" and put my aircraft into these markings...

I have the excellent book from Hans-Peter Dabrowski on this subject. Let me know if you need some information and I can look it up.

In most pictures the elevator is tilted downwards or level with the horizontal stabalizer. Never upwards.

I have not been idle promise........ 

Those of you who have built a HPH kit in the past will know how much cleanup and parts prep is required. 

This is my first such HPH build and I couldn't quite believe it myself. Im keeping dust down by wet sanding but just to give an idea of what is involved here is a bag of the waste resin. 

IMG_8893[1]

With loads still to come.... 

Anyhow, sub assembly is the name of the game with some of the cockpit details being dealt with including the MG 15 magazines with PE front and back all now awaiting a PE carrying strap! 

IMG_8892[1]

rudder pedals, co-pilots seat, pilots seat rear bulkhead and two piece control column,  all of which had to be cut from the moulding sheet and cleaned up. 

In addition I have added the control surfaces and the awkward top and bottom riveted  seams along the tail booms while i am waiting for the resin to dry Ill look for something else to be getting on with. Might be undercarriage or possibly build the flap units up.

I'm still undecided as to whether to depict the flaps up or down as yet there are very few images showing these aircraft with the flaps down whilst on the ground but HPH have some lovely PE for the internals.  Either way I don't want to be handling the airframe while the resin is setting, fragile is an understatement. 

IMG_8891[1]

IMG_8894[1]

IMG_8895[1]

Still enjoying this build despite the seam cleanup and awkward fit in parts.... that's resin I suppose!  

Edited by Phartycr0c

Good progress.

HPH are the only kit company where the model looks great in the box, and then it's downhill all the way from there.

In other words, a look in the box would suggest a first class model kit, with oodles of detail, that should fit together without too many problems. The detail is there, for sure, but how are you  supposed to keep that detail when you have to sand it to within an inch of its life to get rid of resin pours & thin puddles of resin? And then add the weight of a small child in filler to get the gaps in the seams hidden, after spending fun time with the wings & fuselage and a bucket of hot water - or hair dryer - in order to get the parts to roughly meet up in a straight line?

Having said that, you are doing a really impressive job here. Your levels of patience must be quite extraordinary high, and your anger management control absolutely outstanding, to get even this far with consigning it to the SoD. You are a better man than I - my HpH Walrus is not so much on the shelf of doom, as in the bin without physically being in the actual bin because of how much I paid for the bloody thing.

Really looking forward to the rest of your build. It's such an interesting and fairly unique aircraft, I'm surprised it has not been kitted in plastic yet.

Keep up the good work!

Please.

In all fairness Dean, the sanding work has not been quite as much as I expected with only the wing joins between the tailbooms and inner section being a real issue. 

In relation to the more general parts, obviously there is a little cleanup needed in order to remove the resin backing but not too much thus far... That said its still early days, Im sure iv'e got some problems ahead. 

Love the subject, loving the build! 

Love the scheme you have chosen Dave and am relieved to see it hasn't beaten you as so many of these HpH kits do - I know, I tried the Hornet

Really inspiring to just see a 'can do' approach and cracking on with it - the results speak for themselves :)

anyways, it's good training for the Bucc when the time comes :)

Peter