HPH FW 189 Eagle Owl.

Phartycr0c

Once upon a time I had a Wessex HU5 in Royal Navy rescue colours with the Scalewarship rotor fold and exhaust upgrade. 

One day (this morning) the Wessex decided to attempt a power off autorotation as a result of its owner checking the alignment of the said rotor folds in somewhat of a rush. 

This result was one destroyed HU5 which looks like its been in a ground resonance incident, and on very annoyed owner, especially as it was supposed to make an appearance at the Cosford show in April. 

49605885053_0ab90d8734_b.jpgIMG_8792[1]

Up to that point I had quite enjoyed the build! 

As a result the rebuild and damage assessment got shelved and an even greater challenge was pulled from the stash. 

Iv'e been chomping at the bit to have a go at this for a while, mainly as its a full resin kit and i haven't done one before, that and i like the unusual lines of the 189. 

This is an attempt to put this together before Telford, that said I am also undertaking operation Man shed and will be trying to establish a new build place so I will try and produce a build thread but as usual I can't promise anything. 

Anyone who is unfamiliar with HPH, they are full resin kits with all the trimmings you  would require to build a superb model, including photo etch and brass barrels. I hope i can do this justice. It will be totally OOB.

Off we go. 

49606651962_d1339378ba_b.jpgIMG_8793[1]

Kit contents 

49605894863_e486b835fd_b.jpgIMG_8794[1]

49605899703_62b2400901_b.jpgIMG_8795[1]

49605908208_b449d5186f_b.jpgIMG_8796[1]

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that the larger components such as wings etc are missing, thats becuse I got stuck straight in and the first step is the careful alignment of the upper wings with the centre section and wing spars. Everything and I mean everything relies on this alignment being correct. 

Cleanup of the wing parts was straightforward but messy (resin) so im using water to sand in order to keep the dust down. 

The parts were aligned and tacked with CA then then "welded" with HPH epoxy once i was happy. 

Detail In this kit is sublime. 

Here' s where I am as of tonight. 

49606422356_86cd085420_b.jpgIMG_8797[1]

49606677492_03b148d151_b.jpgIMG_8800[1]

• 2 weeks later...

Having started the 189 following the Wessex issue, My good lady encouraged me to have a go at rebuilding said beast as "she liked it and thought it was really beautiful colours" 

so i decided to have a go. 

IMG_8848[1]

IMG_8850[1]

Phone images to hide the issues.......... 

So with that now done, I return my attention to the UHU ............ Cleanup of parts......... who wants to see cleanup of parts.? to be continued. 

Not much of an exciting update really as those who have gone before me will attest, HPH kits deserve attention to detail in terms of the cleanup of parts involved as it will pay dividends later or so I would like to think! 

I have found that switching back and forth through the different parts of the kit allows an effective workflow as while one part dries another can be pieced together. This kit somehow allows that to take place probably due to its unusual design. 

Completely new methods of working are also required and extreme care should be taken when removing the pour blocks especially from the larger pieces. 

Some photos. 

Tail booms and the gaps requiring attention. 

IMG_8853[1]

IMG_8854[1]

x2 of these put together now awaiting the wheel well internal parts. 

the engine representation is made up of an "engine block " and 12 cylinders each one of which is made up of the cylinder and the rocker cover to produce this. 

IMG_8852[1]

I wont be spending too much time as they will hardly be seen inside the beautifully case engine cowlings, talking of which i put together the spinners and left them removeable due to HPH providing tubing. 

IMG_8856[1]

IMG_8855[1]

Diffusing a bomb may be easier than cutting the moulding blocks from the clear resin parts. I was apprehensive to say the least mainly as they are cast really nicely with lots of rivet detail which would be hard to replace I would imagine. 

Anyhow cut they were and a nice dip in clear produced some amazingly clear parts 

IMG_8859[1]

I imagined the clear parts to be really brittle but I need not have worried they are in fact quite soft and malleable which is probably why HPH provides full internal frame detail for the centre section of this lovely greenhouse. 

Bit of a boring update with not much going on really but there you go Resin Kits!   my first time by the way!   

Edited by Phartycr0c

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this build, I am relying heavily on Jan Gabauer's build of this kit as depicted in Kevins excellent KLP ebook which highligghts many of the pitfalls this kit holds. 

Easy it aint. 

That said the detailing in this kit is first class and worthy of taking ones time. 

One of the big issues with these resin kits is that overuse of CA (superglue) on the larger areas of the kit (wing joints, tail booms, fuselage etc) produces brittle joints whereas the HPH epoxy almost produces a flexible joint and also fills any gaps only problem is curing time.

As a result of this I am approaching the build almost like a series of smaller kits building sub structures as i go along. 

Anyhow, heres where i am now...... I took a long time dry fitting, dry fitting and  dry fitting again to get the geometry of the wings and tail booms right. It took a loooooong time and I still think im a little out but not sufficient for it to be noticeable. 

Result, As in Jans build, there are a few gaps to be addressed. Many of these joints are covered with PE so no biggie really..

Engine parts done, with props and veins completed.

IMG_8873[1]

IMG_8874[1]

IMG_8875[1]

Tail booms showing clearly the gaps to be addressed. 

IMG_8876[1]

IMG_8878[1]

IMG_8881[1]

Rear undercarriage has been completed and now some washing and on to the cockpit. 

Edited by Phartycr0c