Mikoyan MIG-17, Trumpeter. *Completed*

BradG

4 hours ago, dmthamade said:

IIRC this was one of Trumpeters first kits. Building it OOB is probably best, unless you really want to punish yourself. Would like to see Trumpeter do a new tool on some of their earlier MiG series, they have learned a lot since the first kits.

Don

I will see what I can do with the rear end to make it look a little better, at least I can have something resembling a jet pipe pop out of the end.

20 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

The Polish marking are nice with their camouflage colors. The chute  housing would not be too hard to add, but don't forget the wing pylons close to the fuselage.

Alain

They didn't always carry the wing plyons, in any case I don't have any that fit. I've also found a picture of an aircraft that didn't have the drag chute conversion, so I might just do that one if I can find the right red numbers for the nose.

4 hours ago, mozart said:

I could cut masks for those if you like Brad. Might take a while to get to you perhaps, but let me know. 

Oh cool, cheers I will keep you in mind. I need to look though my spares first, I might have something that will do the job.

11 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

In the Trumpeter MiG-21 F13 kit there are some numbers that pretty much match the type on your MiG-17. They measure 14.5mm in height.

If you need them I can send them to you but I am in Canada so it might take a bit of time.

Alain

Ah ha, I have the F7 II version and they give you pretty much the same decal sheet. Excellent, thank you both though for the kind offer of assistance!

Still working on the tail section, although the kit is securely together now. You can see the joint at the fuselage is going to need some work.

dtbHcdk.jpg

After assaulting the kit with sandpaper and super glue,  I think I've got it fairly nice. Although there will be some rescribing required.

wV2PAIZ.jpg

Still more work on the tail section. I haven't finished with the jet pipe area or the tail thingy at the bottom. Not really enjoying this kit much here.

kYeS0ts.jpg

The speed brakes fit eerrrr okish, good enough really. Although their shape looks a bit odd, maybe they are too short? In any case there isn't much you can do about it without serious surgery.

YOQlw4t.jpg

Fitted the gun bay cover, it didn't fit that well, so more assault with sandpaper followed. I'll do some minor rescribing to make things look half decent but the time for accuracy has long since flown out the window. I also added some weight to the top of that part, but it might require some more. Also I did not ad the air intake interior part, because the fit sucked, but it does include the forward section of the nose wheel well. I'll cut this out then glue it in and with a scratch built FOD cover for the nose, you'll never know the difference.

bI3BMhB.jpg

...and the nose cone....*sigh...more sandpaper it seems.

kcmxswQ.jpg

Work on this complete piece of sh..I mean challenging model continued today with sawing off the front of the nose wheel well insert.

yGJcOO9.jpg

Fits good enough. Also sanded down the nose cone to fit. That required some fairly extensive surgery. With a little shaping of the foward fuselage, it looks ok although I won't bother scribing a panel line back.

9kqBQBe.jpg

Wings are a tricky fit as the locating lugs don't quite line up. Removing them and progressively gluing both halves together will give you a better wing to fuselage fit, but that's not saying much as you will see.

U1d9PPb.jpg

Horizontal stabilisers fit reasonable well with some cutting and liquid cement. Still requires clean up once the glue is dry which it taking a bit longer as the weather has turned cold and our heater blew up, so off to get a new heater this week. Although the ducted heating system was 37 years old so really you can't complain about that.

psNfdnQ.jpg

.....and the wing to fuselage joint. Well isn't that just super....

P3sBN5X.jpg

Edited by BradG