Mikoyan MIG-17, Trumpeter. *Completed*

BradG

@alain11 That's a nice pic, yes I was thinking of beating this up a bit, just a shame I didn't have any ordnance racks to mount some bombs or rocket pods. Yep built in the tail strake, modified one from a MiG 21 that looks ok, not 100% accurate but it passes the 3ft test.

35 minutes ago, BradG said:

@alain11 That's a nice pic, yes I was thinking of beating this up a bit, just a shame I didn't have any ordnance racks to mount some bombs or rocket pods. Yep built in the tail strake, modified one from a MiG 21 that looks ok, not 100% accurate but it passes the 3ft test.

ordnance racks ?? ah , the inner racks  are not available in the kit :hmmm:you could find someone who get the 1/48 Smer Mig 17 kit (for exemple ), and provides you the measures etc ......scratch building these stuffs won't be difficult ... another challenge :rolleyes:

Alain  

that could be useful .....

lim6-2.gif

Edited by alain11

I thought about it, I even pulled out some other soviet weapons pylons from the stash but they just didn't quite fit without some surgery. I decided I can live without them on, after I fixed up the droptanks at least. I was going to leave them off too but it looks too bare without them.

Painting continues. I used a light grey first up which is actually pretty hard to see. I've also masked it off here to paint the green.

UE2oP1Y.jpg?1

Not bad.

XleB6q1.jpg

Nice, with only some minor touch up required. Test fitted the drop tanks and their addition will require yet more nose weight. I also worked out that a 1/35 44gal fuel drum fits in perfectly for the jet pipe. So I'll cut the end off and leave the bottom in, paint the outside metallic and the bottom of the drum red to simulate the FOD cover. Not quite to scale but it fits so that's all that counts.

zvxa7S8.jpg

Edited by BradG

All done. National markings are from the Eagle Strike MiG 17 sheet, so they actually fit and are very nice to use. The numbers come from another Trumpeter MiG 21 kit. They are slightly out of register, but at this point, they will do. I weathered it with a chalk wash and some paint chipping in the areas shown by the photo above.

Overall this is not a great kit and only really recommended if you really have to have a 1/32 MiG 17.

c0fgqTc.jpg

wE8c2BR.jpg

FyeK1lv.jpg

bbJRh8R.jpg

bZJ5I1c.jpg

txlkH8g.jpg

Super job on this kit! I expected you would trash it at some point but you kept going!

If I want to sell off mine I will show a picture of your build (but that would really be dishonest)!

Actually I think I will take a look at it again!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois