Mikoyan MIG-17, Trumpeter. *Completed*

BradG

Looks like a lot of work on a sketchy kit, IIRC it's the only kit done, though. Hard to believe within a short time they did the Avenger. You going to restore the panel lines and fuselage break point or are you going to fill in the rest?

Don

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Brad - you're courageous to take on this kit! And I thought my Revell MiG-21 build was a challenge. No doubt you'll whip it into shape.

Mike

Oh been there done that one too. I did the MF for the Vietnam Group Build a few years ago.

4 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Looks like a lot of work on a sketchy kit, IIRC it's the only kit done, though. Hard to believe within a short time they did the Avenger. You going to restore the panel lines and fuselage break point or are you going to fill in the rest?

Don

Yeh I'll rescribe some of the lost panel lines, I don't need to rescribe the fuselage break point as it's wrong anyway. The panel line 2cm forward of the fuselage break in the kit is the actual break line for the MiG 17.

WHY MODEL, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!! *sigh.....You can see some of my rescribing there too. 

5LYFyT4.jpg

Gap plugging, I nearly shelved this model and broke out something else, but I will persist with it.

sID9ARh.jpg

Ok so I managed to rage sand most of the joints down and then mellowed out enough to finish off the scribing but stuffed up the nose...so that's filled with super glue for another attempt. The ailerons did not fit well, thus,  I hacked at them until they did fit. It was agricultural, but it worked. I can see the light at the end here, but damn this was hard work. Still got more to go on the 37mm gun, but cutting the tabs off and gluing it limited the gap.

SddXMT3.jpg

I managed to clean up the 37mm gun with just a lot of sanding and super glue. This meant I could get some paint on this puppy.

T9IpS1v.jpg

Although I did find another problem, the main attachment points for the drop tanks are too short. I've added some plastic card to the top and I'll sand it down to shape and fit. I also made a FOD cover for the nose.

zCu4erf.jpg

A  little blue on the undersurface. A bit darker than I was hoping for, but close enough.

QmLIX11.jpg

Well it's standing on it's gear, that went kinda smoothly, although there is some more work to do on the nose wheel strut. It also took a lot of weight to get the nose down, lucky that I left out the inners of the air intake as it was need to fit enough weight.  I also masked up the lower surface but it's too late in the evening and I can't be bothered doing anymore on it today so it can wait till the weekend...well not that the weekend matters since we are in virtual house arrest with quarantine, but you know.

vwFJubi.jpg?1