F-16B Royal Danish Air Force ET-210 "JSF Test Support"

kkarlsen

So three weeks into this build, I'm still cutting, sawing, drilling and scratching my way through the interior.

7698-230320090944.jpeg

Using a piece of plastic drain pipe from the local hardware store for the engine 'tunnel' - Fits perfectly!

7698-230320085308-162821768.jpeg

The pipe remodeled into the engine 'tunnel.

7698-230320085307-16280494.jpeg

The complete intake fitted.

7698-230320085308-162812347.jpeg

Openings in the fuselage + Aires wheel bay.

7698-230320085307-16279425.jpeg

Bottom.

7698-230320085305-162771092.jpeg

'Furnishing' the bottom part of the engine 'tunnel'.

Kent

'Using a piece of plastic drain pipe from the local hardware store for the engine 'tunnel' - Fits perfectly!'

Nice transfer of knowledge.

That is some nice modelling, Kent.  Lots of openings.  What are you using as reference(s)?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

On 3/23/2020 at 10:53 AM, dodgem37 said:

What are you using as reference(s)?

What ever photo's I could find online + 'Aircraft photo file - Lock On F-16 Fighting Falcon' from Verlinden and 'Uncovering the Lockheed Martin F-16A/ B/ C/ D' from Daco.

Cheers: Kent

Thanks Guy's.

I noticed something funny, trying to wrap my head around the insides of the F-16.

It's when you begin to get under the skin of a 'modern' jet fighter it's actually not that different from a ww2 aircraft.

Yes there is a lot of electronics, but there is also piping, wiring, bulkheads, stringers, spars etc.

And that is one of the things I love about modelling, getting to know how things work, why things look like they do, what is this thing doing etc...

12 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

Thanks Guy's.

I noticed something funny, trying to wrap my head around the insides of the F-16.

It's when you begin to get under the skin of a 'modern' jet fighter it's actually not that different from a ww2 aircraft.

Yes there is a lot of electronics, but there is also piping, wiring, bulkheads, stringers, spars etc.

And that is one of the things I love about modelling, getting to know how things work, why things look like they do, what is this thing doing etc...

It’s still plastic magic Kent! :)

• 3 years later...

Time to revive this build. I can't belive it's been three years allready!

The build was put on hold, because I received an invitation to visit the 'Fighter Wing Skrydstrup' maintenance/workshop.

I needed to go have a look-see inside the engine bay as well as some of the details of the RDAF F-16. Preferably a F-16 B.

In March 2020 I went to an event with one of Denmarks most experienced Pilots, Casper Børge Nielsen 'PEL'.

He gave a very inspiring talk about his job in the air force and how he became a test pilot.

But most importantly, he was stationed from 2008 to 2017 at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

He was part of the development of the F-35. Part of the JSF (Joint Strike Fighter) Test Support Program.

apHdD61.jpg

He was stationed there with his loyal 'companion' F-16B ET-210.

v9PGDBP.jpg

Some of you may have noticed I need to have a 'subject' in the back of my head to keep my motivation through a build.

And there it was, when met 'PEL' and later talked to him, I was sure. I got my story, my Pilot and my plane :D

Let me see this was back in March 2020. Then came Covid, 2 years + my own hospitalization and convalescence period 1 year...

Sounds about right ^_^

But today I finally got to visit the home the danish Fighter aircraft - And what aircraft do you think was in the workshop today???

4OKnglA.jpg

yMHUYr9.jpg

ImL2p8D.jpg

0hx5ph4.jpg

yR9n7m9.jpg

What a coincidence, just yesterday they had removed the engine? So I finally got my detailed photos of the engine bay and so much more! But not just of any F-16 it was PEL's 'ET-210'!! 

The 'sharp' reader may have noticed that the ET-210 had lost it's most distinguishing feature...

hG2gY6T.jpg

This is because 'PEL' is one of the major forces behind the new 'F-35 Campus' a new center just for the F-35 fighter, an d will be finished by the end 2023. When I met him three years ago, he told me that 'he would like to bring the tail with him to his new office:D

Today I was told, the tail would be placed in a special spot in the building,cast securely in the concrete! They want to make sure it stays!! The danish F-16's will slowly be phased out. It's expected that the transition to the F-35 will be completed in 2027.

4OlFHF0.jpg

I can only give this day a big 'thumbs up' - it was magnificent in every way and absolutely worth the three-year wait!!

Edited by kkarlsen